A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE LITTLE MERMAID dress **(now with mini-tute)**  (Read 25131 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2005 05:14:06 PM »

hmmm, this baby took me about 2 hours. it's all from scratch from a sheet I found at Salvation Army. Not too bad. I still haven't hemmed the bottom, hence the uneven-ness, but I felt like posting picks anyway. I topstitched it and the top 1/2 is lined for fun. You can't really tell in the pics cause I have a flash for a head, but it is a halter dress tied with yellow bias tape. I forgot to take any pics of the back. Shame on me. But a ton A LOT of the front Smiley Here goes:

It would probably be more flattering on someone who actually HAD boobs, but c'est la vie!

thanks for lookin'

TUTORIAL

hmmm. I am flattered that you guys asked for a tute. The problem is I can only guess how I made it cause I kinda winged it. Bsdies that, I dont have pics to show as I go so I can only make a lame one. here goes:

Materials:

1 bed sheet (twim, double, or otherwise)
somethin' to sew with (machine or needle and thread)
Some length of bias tape or pretty ribbon you want to use for the halter strings.
free time

step 1:
Fold the sheet into 1/4's  (you're going to be making the circle skirt to start out with)  Make sure you have it folded so that the length is the same as the width, otherwise you will either waste fabric or it will be lopsided. Mine was 32'' by 32''

step 2:
cut out the skirt like you would a regular circle skirt. For those of you who don't know how to do this, type "circle skirt" in the search box. DO NOT throw away the little bits of fabric from the edge. As you see, it is ina  triangle sort of shape and you will use as the top of the dress (there should be four of them) If for some reason you threw them away, don't cry, you'll just have to cut it out of the rest of the material.

step 3: (if you want the top part lined)
Get those little triangle chunkies you saved and match them up appropriated as to make a lining (right side to right side) At this step you will need your bias tape or ribbon. Pin the ribbon so it is inbetween to two pieces with one of the ends of the ribbon at the tip of the triangle.
(this way when you sew it and turn it right side out, the biddon will be coming out from the inside)  Top stitch these pieces if you so deisre

step 4:
cut a piece of the leftover sheet long enough to fit around your torso (beneath your boobs if you are a girl). Leave extra on one side to be safe (plus you'll need it for the zipper). i recommend using the already-hemmed edge of the sheet to be the edge to go under your boobs, that was you don't have the hem it in the back.

step 5:
Go look in a mirror and hold the triangle up over your boobs where you like them. Here is where you get to choose how much cleavage you show Wink. After you have the traingles how you like them, hold the piece you cut in step 4 around your torso, under your boobs so that the edges come together on the side of your body (unles you want the zipper in the back) Pin everything where it feels goods and looks fab Wink

step 6:
take it off and sew everything you just pinned. You should be sewing the triangles to the torso section, and sewing the side of the torso section closed. You should now basically have a halter top with and unfinished edge at the bottom. You can put the zipper in now if you'd like, but it can wait.

step 7:
There are a few ways to go about sewing the skirt to the top. You can pleat the skirt, or if you want a fuller skirt you can do what I did and GATHER!
For those of you who don't know how to gather, but would like to do this I will explain:

Staystitch two straight rows about 1/2 inch appart from eachother along the waist of the skirt.  Make sure you leave the threads long at one end so you can gather. Taking the one thread (either bobbin or top) from each of the two rows start gently pulling the threads so that the material gathers. Slide the gathering down the thread as you go and stop gathering when the waist of the skirt is equal to the size of the bottom of the top.

step 8:
Now all you gotta do is sew the skirt to the top and viola! (If you didnt do the zipper before, do it now. Hem the bottom if you wish.

optional step: (This can be completed anytime)
stitch a piece of elastic (the width of your back when held slightly stretched) onto the back top edge of the halter. This makes it so the top will hold snug to your back and not droop open, plus it looks uber nifty.

tada. sorry for the lack of pics. I am lazy bum!

If you need clarification let me know Wink
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 01:27:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
strawberry_bliss_0

Handmade is Haute Couture!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005 05:33:20 PM »

Ooh!  I love it!  The Little Mermaid is my favorite childhood movie.  And I like the fact that it's uneven...you know, the asymmetrical look is in. lol Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JanelleLaBelle

I'm a lovable dork!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005 06:46:55 PM »

That is pure geniously beautiful.... Those exact sheets are on my bed right now! teehee I love it alot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreams come true, not free...
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005 08:06:34 PM »

lol... I used to have those sheets.  Grin

And the assymetry works.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005 08:31:59 PM »

I have those sheets too! what a pretty dress..
You always make pretty things! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
Natural Starlet

Fashionista at Birth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005 08:56:49 PM »

I love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyes of summer

"We are all just prisoners here of our own device"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005 09:32:51 PM »

I love ariel to pieces!

the movie came out the year i was born ('89) and i've been watching it ever since!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things in this world are invisible, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

my crafty blog: http://www.eyesofsummer.blogspot.com/
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005 12:36:26 PM »

Oh yes. I definitely support Ariel being as she is the only red headed disney princess! power to the red heads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
PpCakes
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005 02:08:29 PM »

i used to have the comforter of that, it was my favorite. your dress is very adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005 02:42:11 PM »

I love your dress! My sister has those same sheets...wonder if she'd miss 'em  Wink

~dayzi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Colors for Powerpoint
How to Use Adobe Photoshop Elements
How to Blur Faces in Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
How to Make a Realistic Planet in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...