A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
838 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holy Grail tote and Hand Grenade from Monty Python Swap  (Read 4802 times)
Tags for this thread: monty_python  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MsPremiseConclusion
« on: April 23, 2010 05:22:18 AM »

So I just recently participated in my first swap! I had a great partner and a great theme: Monty Python!

One of the things I set to work crocheting first was a Holy Grail tote. I winged the pattern for the tote as I went. Then I made a sort-of-applique style grail and sewed it on one side:

On the other side, I wanted to write 'What is your Quest?' - you know, the Bridge of Death scene?? *grins expectantly* (If you aren't aware of this, you really must must watch the Holy Grail movie!)

I am a bad embroiderer (I have no idea how to do it nicely on top of crochet stitches) so I decided to make the words by chaining some stitches and then sewing them to the bag to create each letter. This ended up taking much longer than I thought, but I like the way it looked in the end.

Oh yes, and I also made a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! How could I resist??

'Then lobbest thou, thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who, bring naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConnieStieler
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010 05:53:11 AM »

Awesome!  I love Monty Python, you were so lucky to be in a swap for it, I can't wait to hear what you get from your partner!!  The tote is really great you did a good job on all the details.  But the grenade is perfect!!  I would love to make one for my dad!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mellifluous
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010 05:58:30 AM »

This is some awesome work! I can't believe you winged the tote pattern, and the Holy Grail applique is excellent as well. But chaining the words and sewing them on? Incredible! They came out so well. I saw this swap was coming up and I was tempted to join but I didn't have time. Your partner is one lucky duck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010 06:33:28 AM »

Everything looks awesome, and what better use for a perfect sphere than for an Antioch hand grenade?  That's fabulous!  BTW I have followed your advice from your original post about your sphere and googled myself a perfect sphere knitting pattern for that "singing orange from Sesame St" project of mine!  If you're interested, it's http://brentusfirmus.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/sphere-pattern/ - he's into maths and knitting so it sounds promising.  Your swap partner was really lucky! I've been a fan of Monty Python for years - what a great swap idea - I will have to keep my eyes peeled in case it comes up again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010 07:30:20 AM »

I love Monty Python and I love what you sent to your swap partner...perfect! I featured this thread today on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
MsPremiseConclusion
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010 07:49:22 AM »

Thanks everyone! I had a blast with this swap I am tootally doing one again!

BTW I have followed your advice from your original post about your sphere and googled myself a perfect sphere knitting pattern for that "singing orange from Sesame St" project of mine!  If you're interested, it's http://brentusfirmus.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/sphere-pattern/ - he's into maths and knitting so it sounds promising. 
Thanks for the link! I am so checking that out.

I love Monty Python and I love what you sent to your swap partner...perfect! I featured this thread today on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
Thank you! Thank you!

I can't wait to hear what you get from your partner!! 
Oh, it was amazing - I had a great swap partner! I posted pictures on the MP swap gallery: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=343330.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrsBowles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010 08:04:33 AM »

Simply brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibraryBatgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010 03:00:48 PM »

Now all You need is a Killer Rabbit to go with your Hand grenade!  That is so made of good.
"Nee!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't mess with me; I have a crochet hook and I know how to use it!
Arryl
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010 03:31:41 PM »

This is  . . .ineffable.  Crochet+Monty Python=geekish squeal from me.  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 11:28:06 PM by Arryl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bahookie
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010 05:08:19 PM »

I want one!
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Cute Pig
How to Draw a Penguin
How to Sketch Anime Noses
How to Design a Cartoon Girl
How to Design a Cartoon Boy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...