A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *rolls in throws yarn*  (Read 1003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faux_Valentine
« on: April 22, 2010 08:12:07 PM »

as a poor college student it's very important for me to actually work with the things i pay money for. A while ago i bought some bare kp fingering weight with some aplaca and wool and amazing soft fluffiness. Well i dont really have a dye pot or ability to buy the expensive acid dyes so i looked around for some non toxic alternatives. I found some using kool-aid and a crock pot, now kool-aid wasnt exactly for me so i picked up some really cheep ( like 4.99 for four 1/2 oz container which could last a while) wilton jel icing dyes. Trip to walmart here i come. I bought a 7 quart crock pot so not only can i use it to dye my yarn but i can cook a whole roast and feed me and my roomie for three days! Score one for the crafty woman. I got everything ready and realized i didnt have vinager. Well the link i had said you didnt really need it with the wilton, of course now i wish i had, and i kept on my track to dye it right then and there! I wanted to dye my yarn green grey and yellow based on one of the buildings at school. Well i thing the main problem i had was the dyes were way too diluted. It was my first attempt and i decided hell with reading the directions i get the gist of it. Well let me tell you something. The black diluted to a blue when i poured it onto the wool it turned purple and ended up as bright pink. The green which was made from yellow and blue has patches of soft sky blue and random patches of orange came from somewhere. There is alot of green in this yarn. It's not bad. It kinda reminds me of a tye dye shirt, but it is so not what i hoped for.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010 08:21:45 PM »

Wilton icing colors are funky like that.  My mom used to make wedding cakes professionally, and all her spatulas had pink ends because of the black colorings. 
So do you consider this a winning experiment, or something you can chalk up to experience?  The colors are pretty, either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faux_Valentine
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010 09:32:22 PM »

Glad to hear im not the only one having that weird issue... going from black to blue to pink.... Roll Eyes At this moment it's both It wasnt what i wanted but it's very beautiful and still really soft so it's a Win Win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What To Do with Turkey Leftovers
How to Check the Temperature of a Roasted Turkey
The Open Pan Roasting Method
How to Prepare a Turkey for Roasting
Time and Temperature Tips for Roasting a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...