A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wheel of Time / Robert Jordan swap?  (Read 3407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athena394
« on: April 22, 2010 01:28:09 PM »

I am rereading through the Wheel of Time series now. What a great series!! I could see myself whipping up some crafty goodness relating to the series. There are so many rich possibilities for ideas since Robert Jordan's world is so complex! I saw that there were suggestions for this swap earlier, but none actually happened, so here I am, trying again.

I could do it in July or later probably....
I've never organized a swap but I probably could if no one else offers.

So...who's interested? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010 01:32:17 PM »

Yes! I'm reading the most recent one, I let my friend borrow the others so I can't reread yet. These are my favorite books ever! I've seen some beautiful Aes Sedai shawls, I would love to do this. Later would be better, and I could organize... if its after my first one I'm doing at the end of May. Sendouts for that one would be the beginning of July, so maybe the end of July? Or earlier if someone else could organize. I really, really want to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
athena394
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010 01:33:53 PM »

Hooray! An interested person! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lucinda879
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010 02:14:22 PM »

I just reread the entire series over the course of last spring through fall! I'd love to do this swap!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lucinda879
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010 02:22:54 PM »

I know I just posted, but I started having heart palpitations over this swap! I would be available any time since I pretty much always have an open swap slot. I'd wonder about giving things away, though, to those who may not have read the whole series?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena394
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010 02:28:33 PM »

Hmm thats a good point!

(But if you star the series and love it enough to enter the swap how can you NOT have read all the books?! Smiley )

Anyway, we can probably put a question in the survey about the latest book they've read.
Hm, and there would have to be some sort of rule about the swap gallery as well.

Well, I'm sure if the swap gets going, we can work out the rules to everyone's satisfaction Smiley
Cheesy:D Yay WoT
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010 04:40:51 PM »

Hmm... either I fail at searching or I see a distinct lack of Wheel of Time crafts. A few I did find:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=275742.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209176.0

And a few other rings here and there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Weeny
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010 06:12:35 PM »

I'm also reading the newest book and love it - I've never done a swap though I would be into giving this one a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference"
ademareej
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010 01:53:53 PM »

I love these books, but am struggling to imagine crafts that could be made, beyond Aes Sedai rings, shawls, or pieces of cuendillar, which makes it difficult to imagine actually joining the swap...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena394
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010 01:57:34 PM »

Those are all good ideas....

You could also make angreal, sa'angreal, ter'angreal, something out of the chapter headings, Rand's dragon tattoo, something with the map of the world, portraits/dolls of the characters, aiel garb, things based on house colors/sigils,  there are so many things!!!

But of course, it is up to you whether you join Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010 05:37:32 PM »

Well, if this happens my partner is definitely getting an Aes Sedai shawl, I have a perfect pattern in mind already. I was also thinking a mini-Rand or other character crocheted up (or sewn, or knitted, or whatever) would be awesome. I agree with Aiel garb, that would be awesome... and Rand tattoos! Also book safes (I would never deface a real one, but a fake one wouldn't be out of the question), Nynaeve's jewelry.

Ooo, how about a damanae bracelet (ummm.... can't remember what they're called, and I can't remember how to spell damanae) in miniature where the bracelet is a ring and the necklace is a bracelet ala slave bracelets (that may or may not make sense... I'm way tired right now)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
jericho
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010 08:24:00 PM »

Awesome--let's make this happen! I haven't done a swap yet, but would love for this to be my first (it would be fitting considering WoT were my first favorite books.) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your mom!
mommai
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010 08:47:13 AM »

I'm interested too, though I've never done a swap before... Maybe I'll practice until the swap starts, then I can see if I feel up to it!  I'm starting book 4 this week in my reread Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010 08:59:59 AM »

Ugh, I wish I could just organize this right now, but it would be my first and we wouldn't be done by the end of May when I promised to host the Steampunk swap! Oh well, I'll just have to make stuff for myself in the meantime...

Until then, we could set up a craftalong so we can all brainstorm ideas! Maybe even do a book a month sort of thing where we craft something based on the book. I might post something later!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010 09:01:25 AM by Alchamy513 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Lucinda879
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010 01:38:15 PM »

I can think of tons of ideas for this swap! There are twelve (so far) books worth of things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena394
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010 04:52:11 PM »

Can people do  it now? I can probably organize now, but I'm moving at the end of May. So if its over before then, or after then, then thats fine...Any opinions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexa_Angel
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010 07:56:41 PM »

This sounds like so much fun. . . but  I am having a baby in July and I don't know if I could have the time/attention/energy to do it. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived, and lived well. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
How Lovely
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010 12:51:56 AM »

Please extend it worldwide? I'm in Australia and would love to do this swap! I lived off wheel of time growing up, I was convinced I was going to become Aes Sedai Smiley I'd love to make some angreal I think, I made a little wheel of time charm bracelet a few weeks ago, I think I'll post it up now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
How Lovely
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010 12:55:55 AM »

Alchamy513, a craftalong would be a great idea if no one has the time to swap just yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
Lama Rama

Special with a capital SP!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010 03:43:49 AM »

I would so love to do the swap and July time would be great for me as I will be on my summer holiday!!! I love WoT but I've still got to read the latest one. I hat being a student and having to spend very carefully!! Although I'd probably only do this if there was another UK person I could swap with as International postage is just too much for me. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fuzzy llama, Funny llama, Llama llama, Duck!
SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010 05:17:11 AM »

I would join! Particularly if it's later in the summer. My wedding is a month away and I'm missing out on all these great swaps right now.

Since it is so far into the future and I'm super busy right now, could a beg a PM off someone when this opens up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mightyminniemouse
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010 05:57:34 AM »

MEMEME!YESYESYES! Although this would be my first swap, I can't think of a better way to start. Unfortunately, during a recent flooding of my apartment, all of my books were destroyed and I've been unable to replace them yet, so I'd have to go by memeory. Still, Yippee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There comes a time is every woman's life when she has to say to herself "What the hell was I thinking?!"
mommai
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010 08:23:45 AM »

There is a great re-read going on at the tor site, which has great summaries for the chapters, and some interesting commentary and discussion in the comments following.  I think it's great for a nice detailed recap if you've already read the books before and either don't have the time or don't have the books nearby.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=13372

I really want to make a Mat doll now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucinda879
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010 01:09:04 PM »

Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010 04:42:10 PM »

I'm absolutely interested. I read the whole series some years ago, and I tell ya, It really inspired me, art-wise.  Bigtime.  This would be a great outlet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiakelA

Wit beyond measure...

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010 08:25:45 PM »

So my wedding is done. Smiley Anyone still interested? Lets get this going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lama Rama

Special with a capital SP!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010 05:23:28 AM »

I'm definitely interested! Would it be possible to PM me when this swap opens as I always forget to check the swap boards. Also I hope there is another person from the UK wanting to do this as I will only be able to afford to send within the UK! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fuzzy llama, Funny llama, Llama llama, Duck!
athena394
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010 05:23:18 PM »

Hey all,

I am done moving and am somewhat settled in. I can organize it now, though it will be my first time, so be easy on me! What about signups until June 28th and sendouts by July 28th? That gives a month. How big should it be? 1 large, 1 medium, 1 small seems to be a pretty standard size? There can be extras if people want?

Any takers? : )
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010 05:27:12 PM by athena394 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA

Wit beyond measure...

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010 05:35:38 PM »

Athena that sounds perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena394
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010 06:55:52 AM »

Thanks minathia!

There are no other replies so I'm not sure if other people would be up for it. I guess I could just start the signup thread and see what happens? What do people that still read this think? (I am organizing for the first time, so sorry if I ask too many silly questions!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010 07:00:22 AM »

I'd be signing up more towards the end if you start now... I'm planning on starting my first swap soon as well and so I'd need 2 open spaces. That's just me though, I'm almost done with two of my swaps and I sent a third yesterday so I should be getting feedback in a bit. I don't want to miss it, but whenever you start it is fine with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
athena394
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010 08:26:45 PM »

Hey all,

I've started the swap signups here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=352618.0

I'll send a PM to everyone that's posted here so everyone can know. YAY EXCITING! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Gold Marilyn Monroe" by Andy Warhol
Learn About “The Dream” by Pablo Picasso
Learn About “Lullaby Spring” by Damien Hirst
How to Understand And Use The Art Color Wheel
How to Apply Red Venetian Plaster
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...