A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few dresses.  (Read 1113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethymay
« on: April 22, 2010 11:20:00 AM »

I just had my little girl four weeks ago. she is small even for a newborn and it is hard to find clothing to fit her. I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on clothing that she will outgrow in a few weeks/months so I decided to make a few things for her.

the first one is a onsie that I attached a skirt too. I added a ribbon around the waist and then sewed a button in the waist line to help tie the whole thing together.

here is my little one wearing it.

with this one I was inspired by the posts of some of the other crafty crafters on here. where they would take a skirt for an older child and cut it down to make a dress for a toddler. well seeing as my little one is so small (she weighs less then 7 lbs. at a month) I didn't see as how I would be able to find a skirt to fit my needs. so I drafted up a pattern that would relay the same style. this is my first attempt at drafting a pattern and there are a lot of techical errors on the dress. but she isn't old enough to cretique yet so I'm not sweating the small stuff. OK enough words here she is in her dress.

what do yall think? cc is always helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010 12:35:05 PM »

Adorable!  And the dresses aren't bad either  Cheesy

Great idea for making your own outfits.  I wish I would have known how to sew when my daughter was a baby.  She weighed just over 5 lbs at birth and still only weighed 15 lbs at a year old.  She was a shrimp!  Now, she is 'normal' in size, has finally caught up to the other kids her age, but it was so hard to find cute clothes that were small enough to fit her when she was little.  You're awesome for taking the time to make such cute things for your little one to enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Sudha
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010 06:05:41 PM »

lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenyBunny
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010 10:14:05 PM »

Abolutely adorable!! I really love the second dress.

I wish I knew how to sew when my girls were babies too. They were (are) tiny. Even preemie clothes were too big on them. I actually started sewing clothes for them because even now at nearly 3 they still don't fit into store bought clothes very well. They are in the 70-80th percentile for height and one isn't even on the chart for weight, the other is at the 7th percentile. So the comination of being that tall and that skinny just doesn't work. I'm soooo happy to not have to worry about finding clothes to fit that won't fall off them. There is such power and relief in being able to make clothes for them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Began teaching myself to sew and design in Aug '09...one dress at a time!

12/2009 My Etsy shop is now open!
http://www.TeenyBunny.etsy.com
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/TeenyBunny
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TeenyBunny
NEW Blog: http://teenybunnyfashion.blogspot.com/
alicehakes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010 07:53:44 AM »

very,very cute, and the dresses too.  I laughed when I finished reading about the small baby.   I had to go to my oldest and borrow some of her big doll sleepers to fit mine. Although she was over 7 pounds, she was very tiny.  So for the first 1 1/2 years her wardrobe stayed the same.  Great job. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Confetti Cake in a Jar? Yes, and Duff Goldman Shows Us How!
How to Make Baked Nespoli
Angelic Grilled Peaches Recipe
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Monkey Treats
How to Make Lovely Chocolate-Lace Lollipops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...