A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift For Danish Exchange Host  (Read 871 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

streeturchin
« on: May 06, 2005 03:39:33 PM »

I'm traveling to Denmark with school this summer and I wanted to make my host a gift, and something for her family as well. The problem is all I know about her is that she's a girl about the age of 16, and I know nothing about her family. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabags
handmade

it's all about the peace and love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005 07:57:52 PM »

What about making her a bag and fill it with things she and her family would enjoy. Candy (if customs will let food across), cool pens and/pencils, stationary (you could make an interesting note pads or cards and envelopes), embroider a dishcloth, or add nice hand lotion and/or soap to the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cutelittledot.com
handmade bags * beaded jewelry * personalized home decor
lurk
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005 10:48:20 PM »

maybe you could do something (a blanket for example?) that incorporates both yours and her countries' flags? i don't know what denmark's looks like...but that could be cool.

i'm not full of ideas, but that's so cool that you're studying abroad! that sounds like such an amazine experience.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
streeturchin
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005 07:43:23 AM »

thanks to you both, those are both great ideas! i was actually thinking about weaving a bag (but now perhaps making a blanket) with the danish flag on it (it's red with a white cross pushed to the left side, i think like england's only reversed colors). the candy part is also a great idea, when they come over here they always bring their licorice for us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
malle
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005 03:35:27 PM »

Hi, I live in Denmark! Which city are you going to?
Well, I would say bring them special AMERICAN stuff, stuff they can't get here.
I think they'd appreciate things that's special about the US that we can't get here - I don't know if I'd tell you to go for "international" stuff, candy and so - 'cause we might also have it here.
Have you ever seen the girl? her style and so, do you know if she has siblings?

You can always ask if there's anything Smiley
- malle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005 03:44:49 PM »

Bring food or gifts that are special to your home.  I live in New England and have brough chocolate covered cranberries, locally made chocolates, or Boston Red Sox shirts to overseas hosts.  As some others have suggested, put all this in a blanket or tote that you make.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
streeturchin
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005 03:40:27 AM »

thanks for more ideas! i just got home yesterday from my trip. i ended up giving my host a keep lousiville weird shirt and her parents a derby cookbook (i decided closer to time there was no way i had time to make things). i did end up bringing them food- a five lb. jar of peanut butter (our teacher said they didn't have a lot there, and it's a staple in my american household) and packets of kool aid. they loved it.

malle- i was with a school near (in?) roskilde in tgerup but stayed in sengelse. other kids stayed in copenhagen, vaddelev (i think that was the name), roskilde, jyllinge, and a few other places. i'm glad i brought kool aid, because apparently they've never had it. and her host family bought marshmellows and i showed them how to roast it one night (i'm not sure if it's just her family or many danish families that had never done it before). and i'd just like to say that you are crazy lucky to live in such a cool country. and to have access to chocolate sandwiches for breakfast (one of our favorite parts of the trip, all of the food)! where in denmark do you live?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
malle
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005 09:03:44 AM »

Hi!
Great, for how long did you stay there?
Yeah, I actually have never tasted peanutbutter or seen it any stores except when they have American themes and so... What's kool aid?
Marshmallow-roasting Huh is common yeah..hehe!
Chocolate sandwiches? hahahahahahahaha.... okay. I stick to cereals though  Grin

Did you taste rugbrd (rye bread, I think it's called in Eng.?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
streeturchin
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005 11:33:55 AM »

i was there for three great weeks. koolaid is a powder that you put in water and add sugar to. it's a really sugary fake juice. i tasted a lot of bread, i don't think any rye unless it's that danish bread with seeds adn stuff in it that's a dark brown. where in DK do you live?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lemon Shaker Pie
How to Make the Ultimate Truffle Cake
Snow Cone Stand Serves Pickle-Flavored Treats
How to Make a Grilled Peach, Mango, Pineapple and Lime Sorbet
How to Make a Baumkuchen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...