A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Few Costumes of Years Past  (Read 1735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Meilan Firaga
« on: April 21, 2010 05:51:15 PM »

So, this is my first post of my work to Craftster despite having lurked here for well over a year.   Lips sealed  I'm twitchy and a little shy, what can I say?  LOL.  I'm almost constantly making things, but I never remember to take pictures in the process, etc. and then I don't want to post just the finished product.  Well, I'm finally buckling down to do it by showing off three of the costumes I've made.  It's taking a lot to ignore how bad they are because I've really improved on my sewing skills.  XD

Slymenstra Hymen from GWAR

I made this for Halloween 2007.  It's the chick that used to be part of the shock rock band GWAR.  The entire thing is made from materials I got at Wal-Mart and threw together in less than 6 hours.  The boots were already a part of my closet.  The armor is entirely made of white posterboard which I cut, folded, stapled, and then spraypainted to make look like metal.  It's built on a plain black bra.

Zatanna Zatara of DC Comics

Zatanna is probably one of my favorite comic book characters.  Since this picture was taken in August of 2008 this costume has gone through several changes.  The jacket is now scrapped, the sleeves of the tuxedo shirt have been taken up, and I'm in the market for a new top hat as the old one is about to cave in on itself.  Hopefully by Origins Game Fair this June, I'll have a yellow cummerbund to replace the vest as well.  The shoes aren't visible, but I wear knee-high black vinyl boot spats over black heels.

Gijinka Lickitung of Pokemon

Lickitung is one of my favorite Pokemon (though I can't figure out why since it kinda sucks in battle).  I made this in 2008 as well.  It's all jersey fabric and an altered Simplicity pattern whose number is lost to the ages.  The part I love most about this is the visor, which the tongue is actually attached to.  Smiley  The gentlemen on either side of me are from the Pokemon fan-band Ultraball.

Thanks for looking!  Hopefully I can get some more recent works up soon.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010 07:57:47 PM by alwaysinmyroom - Reason: pics for newbie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mischa85
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010 05:22:55 PM »

Good work!

Costumes are always a good way to get into sewing (it's exactly what i did!!!); not s bad if you screw it up a little.

They're great, particularly the Zatanna Zatara!!! I always wanted to do one of the DC girls, but always was too scared of my legs showing so much since none of them ever seem to wear proper pants!!! But you look great in them, and i'm very impressed!!!

Would love to see some of your later work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
KatsKube
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 08:56:28 AM »

you have a great imagination and can see the potential of everyday objects. a talent i would like to have. good job. whats next?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Scrapbooks with Leeza Gibbons
Martha Stewart Makes Candlesticks with Josh Duhamel
How to Create Monster Salt Crystals
How to Make Homemade Snow Globes
Snow Day Crafts for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...