A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbed Lace Bolero Knitalong  (Read 16010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010 04:05:52 PM »

only have the last ribbed section and the making up to do.
when the boyf said he might be busy tonight I kind of thought "good. i can get that bolero done!" so naughty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
Jtovar16
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010 06:18:48 AM »

This is my first Craftster-related activity! I'm very excited. This bolero is absolutey adorable and it knits up quickly. I started on Monday (after Sunday swatching) and I'll probably finish up today or tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010 06:58:33 AM »

I hate how knit picks doesn't have their larger needles with longer cables >.< Ho hum, The pattern does say "or" so that means I can use straight needles, yes? [/quote]

Yes, you can knit on straights. Knit picks sells the interchangeables which start at size 4, you can get tips and a cord very reasonably. That's why they don't have the larger sizes in fixed circs.

I was slightly mistaken that you can't knit flat with 16" circs, you can, but you can't get very many sts on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
soozeq
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010 07:00:51 AM »

I'm planning to use straights. I cast on but I need to know how to slip the first stitch of my cast on row. Anyone have a good video or picture tut on that? I keep trying but the stitch just comes untwisted and falls off.
Do I need to use a different cast on method? Or do I need to knit my first stitch and slip the next one?
Ideas welcome. 

On the first row, just knit the stitch. It's going to get sewn up anyway and won't show. You might just want to knit and purl the first sts on the ribbing section anyway; some people fine that slipping the edge st makes it more difficult to seam. Slip st edges are for exposed ones and not needed for seams or if you're going to pick up stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010 08:48:03 AM »

I'm planning to use straights. I cast on but I need to know how to slip the first stitch of my cast on row. Anyone have a good video or picture tut on that? I keep trying but the stitch just comes untwisted and falls off.
Do I need to use a different cast on method? Or do I need to knit my first stitch and slip the next one?
Ideas welcome. 

On the first row, just knit the stitch. It's going to get sewn up anyway and won't show. You might just want to knit and purl the first sts on the ribbing section anyway; some people fine that slipping the edge st makes it more difficult to seam. Slip st edges are for exposed ones and not needed for seams or if you're going to pick up stitches.

That's what I wound up doing. I couldn't wait any longer I have to finish this in less than 2 weeks! *GAH*
I finished the first row yesterday. I hope to do some more tonight while watching t.v. Church is canceled this week and I am so thankful. So much to do! lol
Not liking my yarn at all though. My needles keep catching it and splitting it. It's very similar to simply soft in that manner for those wondering.  So frustrating.
Anywho I'll keep everyone posted! Welcome new bolero knitters! So glad you decided to join us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010 10:13:07 AM »

I hate how knit picks doesn't have their larger needles with longer cables >.< Ho hum, The pattern does say "or" so that means I can use straight needles, yes?

Yes, you can knit on straights. Knit picks sells the interchangeables which start at size 4, you can get tips and a cord very reasonably. That's why they don't have the larger sizes in fixed circs.

I was slightly mistaken that you can't knit flat with 16" circs, you can, but you can't get very many sts on it.
[/quote]Ohhhh, I was wonderig why an awesome company such as knitpicks wouldn't have a wider variety of circ needles. I will have to look into getting those...whever I place another order...whenever I have money...so next year after taxes:P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010 02:32:28 PM »

The reason that KPs only makes the smaller sizes in fixed circs is because the needle would be smaller than their join. The do make larger sizes in 16" because the needles are shorter than the interchangeable tips, but otherwise figure the interchangeables will fill in the gap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010 12:39:23 PM »

well just updating you all on my shrugs status. I'm nearly 1/2 way with my ribbed section. The problem is I think the yarn I choose stretches a bit too much as it looks nothing like a rib. I've checked my gauge, needles and stitches and everything is correct so the yarn is my last guess. It still looks ok though not as "structured" as I'd hoped.
Hopefully it will go faster once I get to the lace bit. I only have about 7-8 more rows of "rib" stitches to do then I can start that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010 05:23:12 PM »

You mean the beginning rib? Do you have the correct number of sts and are knitting the sts that look like knits, and purling the ones that look like purls on the row you're working on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Craftsunderground
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010 07:45:21 PM »

I am having a lot of trouble with this. I have started over at least four times.
Perhaps someone can help me out. I knit continental style and I just can't get it to look right. I tried knitting English style (I actually learned that first as a child), but I just can't make it work for me. The cables just don't look right. I think the problem is the "purl back of yarn over" decrease. I have looked on Youtube and found only the English style. Any advice??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Painting Lesson - Spotlight Effect
Painting Lessons - Landscape Commission 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...