A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kids Clothes from Thrifted Shirts (Pic Heavy)  (Read 1531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oohmybees
« on: April 21, 2010 11:02:42 AM »

My local Goodwill stores have $.99 day at the end of the month and every month I scour the racks for funny and cute shirts to make clothes for my kids.  It's a lot easier when I don't have to find a certain size.
I invested in the Sienna Dress pattern from Lilblueboo and it has turned out to be a fabulous investment.  The knit sewing and embellishing tips were fabulous and the pattern pieces fit together so perfectly I don't even have to use pins.  I have been so busy trying different piecing options that I haven't even started stenciling or embellishing the fabric.

This was the first one I made and it turned out perfectly.

Not the best photo, but this is her favorite one, she wears it all day and then asks to sleep in it.

I just had to make this one.

Unfortunately these fabrics are polyester, but I couldn't resist the floral print.  Cotton is much easier to work with and it just feels better on the skin, but I figured that since it's a dress she wouldn't get to hot.

I was super excited to find this Catrina shirt and some perfectly coordinating tie dye.
As I was making all these dresses it occured to me that I could make boys tops too.  I cut out a larger size and straightened the side seams and made this for my oldest.

Orange is his favorite color and this shirt makes him look so handsome and grown up.
I then found this free pattern to make baby gowns, so I made a few and I will be making more.  Gowns make changing diapers so much easier and since he will be number 3, I'm all about easy!

Transformers!!!

I'm thinking about adding some nautical star stencils to this one, we'll see if I have enough time (I'm past due, but he doesn't seem ready to come out yet.

I could not resist this shirt!
I love making my kids one of a kind clothing, especially when it's cheaper than the mass produced crap.  The end of the month is coming and I think I'm going hunting for some more shirt.  I can't wait to start hitting yard sales, the shirts are more interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010 11:13:13 AM »

all your recons look great.  i love the tye dye gown.  ive been wanting to try one of these but i feel a little intimidated by it.. well by sleeves mostly lol.   the only clothing ive ever made is pants and shorts. good job, and congrats on your 3rd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
oohmybees
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 11:21:27 AM »

all your recons look great.  i love the tye dye gown.  ive been wanting to try one of these but i feel a little intimidated by it.. well by sleeves mostly lol.   the only clothing ive ever made is pants and shorts. good job, and congrats on your 3rd.

The sleeves were easy on all of these because you put them on before sewing the sides up, any small mistakes can be easily corrected when you sew up the sides.  The most important part of the baby gown was pressing the edges around the neck before sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fort_loop
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010 12:26:12 PM »

You've inspired me.  I just bought the sienna pattern.  My daughter is at the top end of the size range, so I hope I am able to adapt it up.  I have a few t-shirts of my own that I've been hanging on to even though I never wear them.  Now they have new purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oohmybees
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010 12:45:39 PM »

You've inspired me.  I just bought the sienna pattern.  My daughter is at the top end of the size range, so I hope I am able to adapt it up.  I have a few t-shirts of my own that I've been hanging on to even though I never wear them.  Now they have new purpose.

I really think that it will be easy for you to make the pattern bigger and they are also designed for a roomy fit.  I have so much fun matching up different prints and patterns and I really like the look of the finished dresses.  The pattern really gave me the confidence to sew with knits, for some reason I thought knits were really hard, but so far everything has been simple to sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greyskybutterfly
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010 01:22:27 PM »

these are all great! I wouldn't mind wearing some myself (y'know, in my size that is). However, your daughter is the cutest! best monster face ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oohmybees
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010 03:30:14 PM »

these are all great! I wouldn't mind wearing some myself (y'know, in my size that is). However, your daughter is the cutest! best monster face ever.

Thanks  Grin she really loves these dresses.  I wish I could make one in my size too, but I'm afraid my size would take a lot of t-shirts and look more Frankenstein-ish than cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdieSays
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010 01:47:38 AM »

Those are all cute, but I LOVE the Pythons one. Fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sambal and Coconut Rice
Asian Style Seared Duck Breast
Stinky Tofu in Hong Kong
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
How To Cook Easy Indian Dishes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...