A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lemon bars from scratch, with recipe and too many pix  (Read 1206 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 21, 2010 08:26:24 AM »

I adore lemon bars, I had never heard of them until I met a friend in my village who had moved from the US, She has given up baking them so i had to learn how..turns out they are very easy and OMG so tasty.

If I am going to be bothered baking, I make sure that it is from scratch and with good ingredients. After all home  baking tastes so good and so I want to make sure that there are no nasties lurking in my food. There for I always use real butter, sugar, free range eggs and organic fruit/flour if I can get it. You don't have to do the same, except for the butter...seriously it makes the world of difference to the flavour.

luckily I remember to get a picture, before they were all eaten. I like them rather thin, with a lot of base to the topping, i also like them with the centres quite squidgy, but you can increase the cooking time if you like. The recipe is from joy of cooking, with minor modifications

Shortbread Crust:

1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams)  butter, room temperature

1/4 cup (25 grams) confectioner's (powdered or icing) sugar

1 cup (130 grams) all purpose flour

1/8 teaspoon salt (if you are using unsalted butter)

Lemon Filling:

1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (approximately two large lemons)

grated lemon zest from both lemons

2 tablespoons (25 grams) all purpose flour

Garnish:

Confectioner's (powdered or icing) sugar

base
first the base, grease a tin, i used a 10'' loose bottomed round tin, it is actually a cake tin, so the sides are way too high, but that doesnt matter in this case as the sides come off.

Mix softened butter (I use salted, but if you are using unsalted butter add in a pinch of salt) and sugar together using a mixer, or by hand, they should be well creamed, so that they are quite pale, add in flour. The mixture will look dry and crumbly, as in this picture

DO NOT PANIC! this is the way it should be, the best shortbread always looks like this.

Press the mixture into the base of your tin

and bake about 20 minutes or until lightly brown, allow to cool slightly while you make the topping.

topping.
Use large lemons, if you get lemons from the supermarket, they will have a layer of wax on them (Unless sold as unwaxed..get these if you can) the best trick I know is to pop the lemons into a pan of warm to hot water for a couple of minutes, scrub them. This will remove the wax, but also the warm water will increase the amount of juice that you get from them.

before you juice them, take off the zest. i have a zester, a very useful tool that you run over the surface of citrus fruit to get just the coloured zest, no white pith. This massively increases the flavour as this is where all of the essential oils are. You will need the zest of both lemons to give a really punchy flavour. If you dont have a zester, you can use a grater, or pare off the zest with a sharp knife and then chop it up..(then go and buy a zester)

One of my other favourite kitchen tools is this little wooden reamer, cut the lemons in half and use the reamer to squeeze out all of the juice, you can also use a fork, but this gets out the most juice.

Mix eggs and sugar thoroughly, a couple of minutes in a mixer should do the trick

add in the lemon juice and zest, and the flour, mix well. Pour the topping over the base and return to the oven for another 20-30 minutes, until the centre is just set (try wobbling it with your finger)

try to allow it to cool before you start eating it, dust with powdered sugar for additional awesomeness.

cut them into bars, or just cut off random chunks everytime you pass the plate, if you are like us

EnjoY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADoseOfMee
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010 08:40:28 AM »

I like making lemon bars but I don't like eating them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:  ADoseOfMee
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 09:11:01 AM »

I love lemon bars, and yours look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010 09:12:21 AM »

*drool*  Maybe I'd make these the next time we have a bake sale.

I love lemon bars.  Except - give me more topping!  I could smear the topping all over my girlfriend....*naughty thoughts*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010 09:37:52 AM »

you could make twice the amount of topping, or three times, two for the lemon bars and one for your GF *enjoy*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Liquid Eyeliner Looks: Subtle, Everyday, and Night Out
Shaving Myths You Need to Stop Believing
Lose 5 Pounds in 5 Seconds With Sexy Contoured Cheekbones!
Five Tips to Stop Acne Breakouts This Fall
Mermaid Makeup Tutorial Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...