A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
794 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 80s theme party  (Read 6752 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flrtingwdisaster
« on: May 06, 2005 02:54:45 PM »

i plan to throw an 80s themed party over the summer to celebrate my 17 1/2 birthday since when i turn 18 it'll be winter. and - i was just wondering if anyone here has already tried this. besides playing 80s music i'm not sure what i should do. any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melissa_Bumbles

hello my name is melon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005 02:57:41 PM »

depending if you wanna go all out with it, get everyone to dress as an 80s character/icon.  roll out the parachute pants and legwarmers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
ericalm
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005 03:10:59 PM »

There are a lot of great '80s movies (and some not so great one) which you can screen in the background. Any of the John Hughes movies (Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Weird Science, Breakfast Club) would be great. Other suggestions: Suburbia (available on Netflix, great punk movie), Night of the Comet (ridiculous horror movie), Back to the Future, Miami Vice, concert films, VH-1's "I Love the '*80s" (which they rerun all the time).  If you're really into any of those movies, you could do a "come as your favorite '80s movie character" theme. There could be '80s theme door prizes [DVD, soundtrack CD, etc.] for the best costume.

If you have a used record store (or even a thrift store) nearby, you can probably find some choice '80s records for 99 a piece. The covers would make great art to hang on the walls.

If you want to get crafty, buttons/pins with '80s images -- bands, movie stills, etc. would be a great thing to include with invitations or to hand out at the door. I have a huge tin full of the ones I used to wear, but I'm too embarrassed to admit what bands I was listening to back in the day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thequeenjane
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005 03:20:23 PM »

Omigosh!  I did this with my friends three years ago and it was definitely the best party I ever had!

Me and my best friend had so much fun getting ready for it.  Here's a couple of things we did....

- 80s music of course.  We made about 5 CDs as to not run out of music.  I still listen to them all tons.

- 80s dress up.  everyone had to come dressed up 80s.  and if they didn't we had "the box" which they had to dress up from.  needless to say "the box" was filled with the most ugly 80s clothes and accessories we could find.

- movies.  we  didn't really watch them but had them on in the background. 

- games.  i dug out all my old toys and games from the 80s.  cabbage patch kids, rubiks cubes etc...

- and we played trivial pursuit (our fave game and released in 1984 (i think, somehwere around there...)) and i had prizes for everyone.  record bowls and notebooks made from 80s albums like thriller and lionel richie and platinum blonde. 

- decorations i used anything and everything i had from the 80s.  music posters, record covers etc.

it was the best party ever and everyone had so much fun.  we all still talk about it to this day.

good luck with your party!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005 08:30:30 PM »

80s Parties ROCK!

Back in highschool, we threw a couple of these parties and they were so rad, got such huge turnouts...

Decoration is essential.  We covered the garage walls with squares of brightly colored paper in random geometric patterns.. neon if possible.  We criss crossed the ceiling with crepe paper in hideous tacky colors and strung those tinsely icicle strands all over the place.  A huge michael jackson poster watched over the snack table.

Everyone dressed up, people tend to be willing to dress up for this theme, cus really, how could they not?

Nacho Cheese.  I know its not 80s perse... but Smart and Final sell this paintcan-sized tin of spicey nacho cheese and its SO good.  I think it was the hit of the whole party.  Seriously.  ... i heart that cheese...

Lots of 80s music of course. Fun lighting. Karaoke if possible.. its great since everyone usually knows lots of these songs by heart.

I dont know what kind of party you're intending.. cus ours werent exactly straight edge.. so if thats the case, just add booze and WA-LAH! 80s all over the place. 

Have a totally gnarly time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005 07:18:11 AM »

wow, thanks for the replies everyone! these are such great suggestions. i'm thinking about doing all the decorations you guys were talking about, having the movies and music, playing some games, and making everyone dress up. and i'll have to use that box idea, thequeenjane. of course, the ugly clothes will go in there for those people who just didn't want to play along. and i really like that idea of record art, ericalm! what i'll do is make invitations suggesting things they should wear/do and make a note saying best costume wins a prize. i mean, who doesnt want to win a prize? anyway, thanks again! Smiley

ps - i guess we'll have to keep it on the downlow that it's not a straightedge party, kerriedaway...since i'm only turning 18 and all. hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~~steph~~
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005 08:47:47 PM »

These ideas are *great* - they are making me wanna have an '80's party!

Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005 03:43:34 PM »

definitely make record bowls and just put a papertowel in the bottom and fill them at "the snack table" with cheeze-its, potato chips, and cheese popcorn. 
everyone will love eating from these!!

You should also get the 80s trivial pursuit game or something with 80s trivia on it!!  people love trying to remember stupid stuff that happened... and its more funny that they remember.

You should have a "best guy" and "best girl" costume prize but make it an 80s survival kit...
Include for the girls stuff like blue eyeshadow, hideously pink wet 'n wild lipstick and gloss, and the dvd of some great 80s movie with molly ringwald! ha
For the guys, something like hair goop so they could get that sweet 'hawk goin', and billy idol objects.  what guy didnt want to be billy idol?  pff

Let us know how it turns out!!  I'm excited that somebody else has 80s parties!!

PS-You do have a hair crimper, right?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
turtlebriana

always trying to do new things

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005 03:58:58 PM »

I went to just a regular old party, but what was great was they had a big bowl of sweatbands for your head and wrists. It totally made you feel like a part of the party immediately, and I hardly knew anyone. It was so fun to get something like that at the door, and suddenly, everyone sort of has a costume! Its the best thing you can do for a party like you're going to throw if you have one or two friends who you know won't come in a costume.

Post pics of your party later if you can! I love eighties parties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IAmSam
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005 04:01:52 PM »

Roll Eyes Wow I am soooo gonna have one of these parties! I'm seventeen in like 15 days or something (booo I have exams then!) but this would be soooo rad, like, man (going with the '80s lingo too  Tongue )

I'm glad somebody mentioned crimped hair! but you've forgotten the classic shoulder pads! and wacky nailvarnish and breeze-block sized mobile phones and awful mullets on men and what would the '80s be without Cliff Richard!!

Have a great party and post us piccies after!

PS (what did you mean about a straightedged party? Whats the legal drinking age where you are?)

mwah sam xxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save the Workspace Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Change the Workspace Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Different Color Spaces in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Optimize the Color Setting in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Setup Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...