A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Appropriate yarns for baby blanket?  (Read 413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fringey
« on: April 20, 2010 04:48:33 PM »

I want to make a baby blanket for a friend who s pregnant with her first child (it's a girl!) but i am having trouble deciding on a yarn to use. I know there are lots of Baby Yarns available but I don't really like to work with synthetic yarns and washable wool is waaay too much money for me. More importantly, though, I want to do a pink/brown/cream color theme and all of the baby yarns I have seen are in wimpy pastel colors.

My question is this: Is there a reason to use a baby yarn over any other soft, washable yarn? I was thinking of using a nice bamboo worsted weight.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 07:46:59 PM »

Soft and washable are the only requirements I can think of for yarn for baby things.  A bamboo worsted weight sounds lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010 08:15:35 AM »

I think the weight is important too.  Baby yarn is much lighter than other yarns.  Perhaps you can find a nice cheap lightweight cotton yarn?  If you're into buying online you can go to etsy and just type in cotton yarn or "recycled cotton yarn" for some great finds.  I ended up getting over 1500 yards of cotton yarn for under ten bucks. It was nice.  Most craft stores sell crochet cotton too.  I know you would have to buy a large quantity for a baby blanket, but at least it would be natural.  Also, bamboo yarn would be fine as long as it was a lighter weight...maybe 2 or 3 ply or fingering weight?  I once made a baby blanket out of 4 ply worsted weight and they couldn't use it because it weighted too much, that's the only reason I stress the importance of lightweight yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Sankovitch on the Book That Changed Her Life
Cassandra Clare on the Book That Changed Her Life
Isla Morley on the Book That Changed Her Life
Why We All Love the Number 7
Laurel Braitman on When Animals Go Mad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...