A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Appropriate yarns for baby blanket?  (Read 391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fringey
« on: April 20, 2010 04:48:33 PM »

I want to make a baby blanket for a friend who s pregnant with her first child (it's a girl!) but i am having trouble deciding on a yarn to use. I know there are lots of Baby Yarns available but I don't really like to work with synthetic yarns and washable wool is waaay too much money for me. More importantly, though, I want to do a pink/brown/cream color theme and all of the baby yarns I have seen are in wimpy pastel colors.

My question is this: Is there a reason to use a baby yarn over any other soft, washable yarn? I was thinking of using a nice bamboo worsted weight.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 07:46:59 PM »

Soft and washable are the only requirements I can think of for yarn for baby things.  A bamboo worsted weight sounds lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010 08:15:35 AM »

I think the weight is important too.  Baby yarn is much lighter than other yarns.  Perhaps you can find a nice cheap lightweight cotton yarn?  If you're into buying online you can go to etsy and just type in cotton yarn or "recycled cotton yarn" for some great finds.  I ended up getting over 1500 yards of cotton yarn for under ten bucks. It was nice.  Most craft stores sell crochet cotton too.  I know you would have to buy a large quantity for a baby blanket, but at least it would be natural.  Also, bamboo yarn would be fine as long as it was a lighter weight...maybe 2 or 3 ply or fingering weight?  I once made a baby blanket out of 4 ply worsted weight and they couldn't use it because it weighted too much, that's the only reason I stress the importance of lightweight yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Non-Messy Easter Kids Crafts
Creative Alternatives to Pumpkin Carving
Mom Hacks: Chalk Eggs
Creative Easter Centerpieces
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...