A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make an Air Plant Chandelier With Supplies You Already Have  (Read 8414 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thezenofmaking
The Zen of Making

Brooklyn-based DIY from a gal in granny glasses.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2010 10:35:29 AM »

Air Plant Chandelier Tutorial

Materials needed: 4 air plants, 4 clear glass containers with a lip around the top (or a handle), flexible wire, twine, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and a pair of scissors.

1. Cut a piece of wire about 24" long. This length may need to be adjusted depending on the diameter of the container you're using. My containers were 3" across.

2. Wrap the wire around the container so you have equal length on both ends. Twist like a twisty tie.

3. Tighten the wire by twisting a few times with your pliers. Stop when the wire is snug, but not too tight.

Additional Option: If you're using heavier glassware, or if you just prefer the look, you can wrap the wire around the lip twice. See the photo below.

4. Create a loop by crossing the loose ends of the wire.

5. Using your pliers, wrap the wire around the loop. It's easiest to start at the top on each side, twisting down to the base.

6. Once you reach the bottom, wrap any extra wire around the base, taking care to squeeze in any loose ends so they don't poke you later.

7. Measure the twine into pieces that are twice as long as your desired length (you will be folding them in half), then cut three pieces of each length. I chose 4 feet, 3 feet, 2 feet, and 1 foot, but you can use whatever lengths make sense for you.

8. It's time to braid. Bundle 3 pieces of twine of the same length, and tie a knot at one end. Bring the pieces through the loop, securing the loop at the bottom of the braid.

9. If you're working with long pieces, secure the container between your feet, then braid up. When done, loop the twine through the second side of the loop, and knot to secure.

10. To create a hanger at the top, gather all of the twine braids together, and tie a knot with a loop at the end.

11. Add air plants, hang, and enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brooklyn-based DIY from a gal in granny glasses. Likes: crafting, Doctor Who, sewing, embroidery, crochet, beer.

For more tutorials, reviews, and DIY: http://www.thezenofmaking.com/
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 10:51:45 AM »

how cool is that?  I've never seen an airplant before.  They come in fantastic shapes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
thezenofmaking
The Zen of Making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010 10:56:56 AM »

Thanks! I just got my firs air plant as a gift while visiting Portland, OR last month, and I've been obsessed every since!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brooklyn-based DIY from a gal in granny glasses. Likes: crafting, Doctor Who, sewing, embroidery, crochet, beer.

roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010 11:07:24 AM »

Pretty neat looking, although, I have to ask (And I promise I'm not trying to be snarky, just curious...) why did you use wire around the necks instead of continuing with the twine/jute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thezenofmaking
The Zen of Making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010 11:13:52 AM »

That's an entirely reasonable question! Smiley

The first answer is, I just liked the way it looked. The second answer is, I have two very curious and persistent cats. I wanted to make sure that there was no way that the glasses would slip loose and fall, and using wire made that significantly less likely to happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dragonshinwa
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010 11:14:26 AM »

LOL i love this.
Whis this tutorial was up earlier.
I had to search for a long time for something to hang my plants on.
Thank you for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IdlersDesign
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010 11:28:04 AM »

Ohhh I'm certainly going to make this; thanks for the tutorial!
(thinking *where can I find air plants?...*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
thezenofmaking
The Zen of Making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010 11:33:21 AM »

Ohhh I'm certainly going to make this; thanks for the tutorial!
(thinking *where can I find air plants?...*)

Check with your local flower shop/house plant nursery. Depending on where you live, they should become available as the weather warms up. If you're in the southern US, I'm pretty sure you can just walk outside and pull one off of a tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftykarla
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012 02:41:31 PM »

I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
koffeewitch
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012 08:01:58 AM »

I love it.  It really adds so much charm to a window.  After admiring it, my next immediate thought was of my cats...I read your comment about the wire as a strong anti-kitty safety device, but I'm still wondering:  do your kitties bat the thing around into your windows or attempt flying leaps and crash landings onto the globes??  I have some terribly ornery cats generally hell-bent on destructive mischief.  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012 09:18:18 AM by koffeewitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Eating on the Go
Potatoes for Healthy Eating
Healthy Snacking Ideas
Eating Homegrown Foods
Healthy Grilled Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...