A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DNA potholders  (Read 1444 times)
Tags for this thread: dna , quilt , potholder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myguybri
« on: April 20, 2010 10:11:55 AM »

I'm going to grad school for genetic counseling and as part of one of my classes we have to do a "self-help" presentation...some thing that relaxes us when we have a stressful day at school or in clinic.  I decided to make potholders with DNA fabric (since my classmates will all think it is the coolest thing ever, lol) to show my new-found love of quilting.  This was also my secret way of practicing my binding skills, which still need work after 8 potholders!  They are all slightly different so I'm going to let my classmates pick which one they like the best and then let them take a stab at machine quilting their potholder (I'm bringing a separate fabric/batting sandwich for practice, and if they don't want to do it, they don't have to!) Anyway, here they are.  C&C welcome Smiley

The group (minus my practice one)

Closeup:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PudelGrl
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 10:21:55 AM »

Those are awesome! Good job.

Where did you find that amazing DNA fabric? Just finishing my undergrad in bio focusing on genetics, and I need to get some of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
textilejnkie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010 10:49:21 AM »

I LOVE the DNA fabric.  Where on earth did you get it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010 11:31:13 AM »

genetics intrigues me to no end... It's the only thing in Bio that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Those pot holders are fabulous!  love the DNA fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myguybri
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010 07:22:00 PM »

I got the DNA fabric from fabric.com...just search for "double helix" - it isn't listed under "DNA".  And there are 2 varieties! Cheesy  Glad there are some fellow nerds on here, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010 06:19:52 AM »

Those are very cool!  Great job.  And, as a beginning quilter myself, I LOVE that one with teh kind of offset triangles - no need to match up all those points in the middle, and it still looks really cool!  I may have to use that for a future project.  I hope your classmates think your project is as cool as all of us do!   Cheesy

Edited to add:

Okay - I looked at that pattern again, and I can't figure out how it's done, other than a tedious process that I know can't be the best way.  Care to share how it's done?  Or if that square has a name, tell it to me so I can look it up?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010 06:21:59 AM by Padester » THIS ROCKS   Logged
myguybri
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010 08:58:32 PM »

Padester, I honestly was just playing around and cannot for the life of me figure out what I did!  I remember that I was attempting a "flying geese" of some sort with a regular square ruler, but I have no idea how it came out that way...sorry!  I probably did it the "tedious process that was probably not the best way" lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darediva
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010 02:52:03 AM »

Perfect fabric for your project!  I love it when I can use a fabric that is a bit of an inside joke on something.  Great choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gopher Baroque!

Alice
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicolita 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Poko Pano 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Vitamin A 2013 Collection At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Agua Bendita 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Dolores Cortes 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...