A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,479
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my kind of colour therapy  (Read 795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

k_cat
« on: February 21, 2011 01:39:00 PM »

i wasn't feeling too well today, due to a lot of things (e.g.: i had to burry one of my cats; it was time for my at-least-weekly doctor's appointment;...) - so i decided to dye some wool. only a little bit... not too much...  Wink
i usually dye batts of 100gr each. the problem is: i can't handle heavy things with my hands, and thus can't handle that "large" amounts of wet wool or big bowls full of water. turns out i'm able to dye smaller batts of circa 25gr each.  and i dyed... twelve of those - i mean, that's only 300gr. Grin i just couldn't stop myself.

100% pre-carded merino, dyed with acid dyes (i only have yellow, red, blue, black and violet, so a lot of mixing was involved)

i put them outside to dry... so colourful, i started to grin like mad.

my father almost died laughing when he saw the clothesline... in his opinion i should have tried to spell something like "HAPPY BIRTHDAY", taken a picture of it AND made greeting cards for yarn addicts.  Roll Eyes

and, because it's really cold outside: they FROZE. they all FROZE, and they dried. Smiley can you see the little icicles hanging down from some of them?

tadaa!

oh, and... i'm going to add more pictures tomorrow. because, like i said, i just couldn't stop myself. especially after i visited the doctor (my medicine still doesn't work properly, etc...).
i dyed some (read: everything i could find) washed but uncarded anonymous wool from my stash. Grin it's still drying. i think my mother looks forward to carding all that stuff for me, lol.

but: i'm feeling a bit better now. all those colours really helped to improve my mood today. Smiley

-----
edit: scroll down for more colour. Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011 06:51:44 AM by k_cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Temperamental
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011 01:49:18 PM »

I was feeling a bit glum myself but I appreciate the colors and the work you put into it. You can tell your dad they line says HMHMHMHMHM because it's contemplating what to do next hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Getting my life together. Going to have to take a break from Craftster for a bit.
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011 02:37:47 PM »

I was just thinking it says "Mmmmm!", which is still perfectly appropriate because any yarn lover will appreciate those delicious candy colors!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
k_cat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011 05:24:17 AM »

hehe, thank you. Grin next time i'll try to spell HELLO WORLD or something like that...

still don't know how much wool it's in total, maybe i'm going to weigh it this evening...

uncarded, anonymous sheep - i washed it several months ago, but there's still some hay and other stuff left in it... doesn't bother me, though.

greens and blues

reds, pinks, yellows

finally - a basket full of wooly joy. Grin

i reused most of the dye baths and took water from the basin i used to presoak the wool - so i didn't use that much water after all... (was trying to see how much water it actually takes for this kind of dyeing process.)
i have another doctor's appointment this afternoon (already had one this morning.  Roll Eyes) and i might be washing and dyeing more wool afterwards. or maybe i'll get my mother to start carding. (we have a drumcarder and she'll get some of the wool to spin for herself, so it isn't like i'm punishing her. Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011 05:15:43 PM »

oh, how lovely.  hee.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011 01:10:36 PM »

Loving all those colors!!! Awesome! Makes me want to start dyeing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Transfer Paper
How to Iron On Numbers to Fabric
How to Apply T-shirt Transfer Papers
How to Custom Design Iron On Transfers
How to Design Rhinestone Transfers
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...