A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer Maxi Dress  (Read 3019 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , maxi_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aistaraina
« on: April 20, 2010 02:51:29 AM »

I love maxi dresses and everything about them! I found a cheery bright orange fabric that would be perfect for one! It was very cheap too, and have lots of it left Smiley

I made this dress from an old Burda pattern.

I know that the front is a little big, but still every body part that is supposed to be covered, is covered Wink And I kinda like the look of it, or would it look better I take the sides in?

Thanks for looking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bec89
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 04:33:39 AM »

I think it'd definitely look better if you took it in on the sides.  You don't want to lean over and show everything!  Great dress though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shookup
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010 04:41:49 AM »

I think you should do it according to your personal taste. I would rather tuck the sides in, but if you like that "petal" shape, keep it. nice fabric and i share with you the love for maxi-dresses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Peppercorn
Queen of King Prawns

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010 05:10:12 AM »

I would take the sides in for a better fit, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it would bother me.  If it doesn't bother you, then leave it as is.  It still looks good just the way it is.  Great work!  The material looks fantastic on you.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010 07:03:46 AM »

I can see why you would like the look. I think if you took the sides in though it would look better.
I love the print and I'm impressed with the look of the dress. You could also add a little faux collar around the top to get a similar look without the gaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skullseamstress
Tutorial Contributor

Entrepreneur Crafter

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010 08:02:41 AM »

Very pretty! What's a maxi dress? I've never heard of that. (of course, fashion lingo is not at all my strong suit...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skringlen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010 09:26:01 AM »

Ya know, before I saw it on you, I would have said the sides needed to be taken in, but it looks really pretty like flower petals when you're wearing it - I stopped thinking it was an accident until I read through all your post.  Sometimes mistakes or unintentional deviations from your imagined outcome are serendipitous.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aistaraina
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010 01:33:53 PM »

Thanks for your replies and feedback, everyone Smiley

I think it'd definitely look better if you took it in on the sides.  You don't want to lean over and show everything!  Great dress though!

I tested leaning over and everything stays right where it belongs, so yay! Otherwise I'd have taken the sides in already. I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

I can see why you would like the look. I think if you took the sides in though it would look better.
I love the print and I'm impressed with the look of the dress. You could also add a little faux collar around the top to get a similar look without the gaping.

Thank you! I am interested in your faux collar idea though, what exactly do you mean by this?

Very pretty! What's a maxi dress? I've never heard of that. (of course, fashion lingo is not at all my strong suit...)

Thanks! Maxi dresses are ankle length to floor length daytime dresses.

Ya know, before I saw it on you, I would have said the sides needed to be taken in, but it looks really pretty like flower petals when you're wearing it - I stopped thinking it was an accident until I read through all your post.  Sometimes mistakes or unintentional deviations from your imagined outcome are serendipitous.    

I've been trying different things out in front of the mirror, pinning the sides, and after lots of folding and pinning, I decided the keep the dress the way it is. It really does remind me of flower petals too. Still, I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate it Smiley I love this community!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010 02:27:37 PM by Aistaraina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010 03:54:23 PM »

Thanks for your replies and feedback, everyone Smiley

I think it'd definitely look better if you took it in on the sides.  You don't want to lean over and show everything!  Great dress though!

I tested leaning over and everything stays right where it belongs, so yay! Otherwise I'd have taken the sides in already. I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

Thank you! I am interested in your faux collar idea though, what exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks! Maxi dresses are ankle length to floor length daytime dresses.

Ya know, before I saw it on you, I would have said the sides needed to be taken in, but it looks really pretty like flower petals when you're wearing it - I stopped thinking it was an accident until I read through all your post.  Sometimes mistakes or unintentional deviations from your imagined outcome are serendipitous.    

I've been trying different things out in front of the mirror, pinning the sides, and after lots of folding and pinning, I decided the keep the dress the way it is. It really does remind me of flower petals too. Still, I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate it Smiley I love this community!
the best example I can find is on this "sexy" costume dress:
http://www.cometakeapeek.com/img/profiles/137_7530-A.jpg
the ones I've seen are typically on a normal dress either with or without straps. Though they are much higher cut than the top of that dress. lol
I know I saw Rory from Gilmore Girls wearing a dress like what I'm talking about in an episode.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010 03:55:02 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great Hairstyle for When Bangs Are Growing Out
Get a 60s Beehive Ponytail
VF NEWS: Carmen Marc Valvo Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
VF COLLECTIONS: Paul Smith Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
Why a Layered Haircut Is Crucial for Gorgeous, Styled Locks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...