A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
330 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Covering a burn mark?! Help Needed Immediately, Please!  (Read 887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: April 19, 2010 03:51:35 PM »

I've been working on my prom dress and I don't even know what happened. The iron wasn't THAT hot and I didn't leave it on THAT long, but I ended up with an iron burn in the middle of my fabric. I've already re-cut the bodice once and that piece is unusable. And of course I'm out of extra fabric. The nearest fabric store is an hour away.

SO. I need some ideas on how to cover the burn. It's small, but it is very noticable because it's in the middle of the front bodice. I was thinking it'd be okay to put a flower over it, but I realized that it's be smack in the middle of my boob. Not okay.

I just need some ideas to cleverly cover the burn. It should be somewhat discreet too, I don't  want it to just look slapped on there. Oh and I have like a week and a half to finish it, so embroidery isn't an option.

Close-up
This is the piece from a few feet away.
Please help! I can't just scrap the thing, I've spent too much time and money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
E.J.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010 04:36:18 PM »

I'm so sorry! I can imagine your panic Sad  But you have chosen a lovely colour purple, how about tacking a tall peacock feather to the dress to cover the burn and then a few shorter ones below it, like a spray of flowers, just to make the taller one look like its supposed to be there.  You could hide the feather ends by wrapping a sash around your waist maybe? I'm not sure if the feather stems might break in this position though if you sit down or bend......anyway, that was the first thought that came to me, hopefully it gives you something to think about Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
anafelix
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 04:53:14 PM »

A feather is a great idea, thanks. But the problem is I was planning on a pink sash to go with the pink tights I have. And I'm gonna add a scallop neckline, so I think that might be too much. If I can't figure out anything else I may get some turquoise tights and some peacock feathers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010 05:09:16 PM »

Going off of the flower idea, instead of doing one flower right there, how about a trail of flowers going over your shoulder (the one opposite the burn probably), diagonally over the burn and continuing diagonally into the waistband or even further to the bottom of the dress, though that might be more work than even embroidery if you make the flowers yourself. It's hard for me to visualize how close the neckline will be to the burn, but consider that too. If it's not too far away, some interesting trim or a ruffle made of the fabric from the extra bodice piece along the neckline might cover it. I think the feather idea is cool too if you can figure out how to do it without causing them to break when you sit/bend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minusxl3lindfold

R.I.P. Peter Steele. <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 06:53:23 PM »

I've never made clothes before but how about some kind of ribbon or another strip of fabric? If you have some left over scraps of the same fabric maybe you could use that and ruffle the edges or something. Like going off centered vertical maybe the whole length of the top..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/minusxl3lindfold
Facebook: (always looking for crafty friends!) http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000584671613

Current Swaps:
Talen05
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010 07:35:38 PM »

Poor thing, I can imagine your frustration.  Perhaps an array of buttons.  They seam to be in, & you could even make button jewellry to go with it, so it looked like it should have been that way all along.  You could use them all different shades of the one colour, or cluster many different colours that go together. Smiley  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmaDJ
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010 08:20:43 AM »

Could you tack silk flowers over the bodice and down the skirt?  If you use silk flowers, try to get the kind with fabric leaves, and cut off the stems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aysha
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010 09:01:53 AM »

You must be devastated.I can only imagine how I'd feel.

The best thing to do is take a break for it for a while and pick it up  again when you can think clearly.
Some tiny organza rose stitched over it may work.
Or since you seem to be using a plain fabric, I would add an insert and cut that section out.There are quite a few options, an embroidered panel with shades of the same color. a applique with  contrasting fabrics colors, or a strip of lace.
Or you can introduce just a little bit of the sash color by using it as an insert or pieces of your scraps, stitching narrow strips of the two colors together and then add it in as an insert..

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Melanie Abrams on Writing Sex Scenes in Literary Fiction
How to Make a Paper Mache Ganesh
The Moveable Type Installation at the New York Times Lobby
How to Make Clay Murals with Joe Brenman
Meet Ice Sculptor Takeo Okamoto
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...