A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help on another knock off bag!  (Read 1448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2005 09:54:36 AM »

hey guys...i recently saw this bag at Delias..and wanted it instantly! but i'm not really the type to spend $24 on one bag! so i need some basic help on this one! here's a link to the bag!

http://www.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=416&itemID=44324&sizeFilter=&brandFilter=

ummm it kind of looks like a tank top w/ a big bow on it! but i'm not sure about the bottom part! thanks for your help!!  Smiley  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MegNKyle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005 12:19:58 PM »

I want it so bad too,I get their catalogs and drool over the clothes in them! But instead of killing myself trying to make it,I think I'll just fork over the $24 for it......I'm not trying to make you sound cheap b/c if you figure it out,let me know! And I never though of it looking like a tank top w/ a bow but it really does now that you say that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonvoyagemonde

time is on my side

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005 12:25:58 PM »

Their products tend to be poorly made, atleast the majority of odds & ends i've bought over the years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a civil world like this it always sells itself.
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005 01:37:28 PM »

really? well i might just have to fork over that money! or just throw the catalog in the toilet! thanks anyway guys! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005 06:11:27 AM »

In my opinion things that you copy tend Tto turn out better then original:) If I was doing It I would mack bag like one shown in  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24610.0 but In different dimensions (it should bee taller then wider if), then add handle straps straps and as the last step would add the bow. Sorry if It doesn't mack sense but English is not my first language. Good lack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisedfruit

still sweet and delicious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005 06:40:04 AM »

If you have basic sewing skills, this bag looks pretty easy, but just tedious to make. A few dollars in material and metal rings and your time is all it will take. I say go for it!

From the photo it looks like a simple hobo type bottom, pleated to meet the shaped topper. I'd start by making the top part. It is the most complex part, because of the top shaping. In your mind, deconstruct the bag. The shape of the top is just like you said, like the top of a tank. Make the entire top part, including adding the rings for the handles, adding the handles and doing the topstitching. My suggestion is to create the top, so that the bottom remains open. That is, the outside  of the top and the top facing are connected only at the very top edge and by the topstitching you have done. This will allow you to "insert" the bottom (once you've made it) and sew it in without raw edges showing

Then, for the bottom, make a sack, with rounded bottom corners. Don't worry about shaping the top of this sack yet, just make it as a straigt sack. The circumference should be roughly 2 times the circimference of your finished top. Now just pleat the top of your sack to meet perfectly to your top. Baste in place, then add your "belt loops". Now, insert the top edge of your pleated bottom into the bottom of your completed top. Stitch together by topstiching the outside of the bag. Now make your "ribbon" and insert it into the belt loops and your done! 

I'm sure that was clear as mud. If you have specific questions, I'll try to help. I've made many knock off bags and all it takes is perserverance and I promise you'll make one even better than the original.

My last and best advice for any hand bag is, use interfacing everywhere! It often makes the difference between a sloppy homemade looking bag and a sturdy structured professional bag.

Oh, and please post pics if you attempt this bag!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunt lacrimae rerum...
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005 03:07:29 PM »

thanks guys!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

couturekitten

I pity the fool!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005 12:45:33 AM »

Ok, pretty dissapointed in this stupid bag but here is my take on it.  I used the basics here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24610.0

This bag was a lot of work and I wish I would have used a different fabric.  The lining is pink also.

Anyhow, here it is...

And a close up...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergrl311

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005 11:55:58 AM »

HEY! that turned out pretty good! how hard was it? i like it!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADHDCraftster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005 12:20:45 PM »

So, you dont get down; I love delias and everything I have bought is still in good condition.  The last item I bought was 3 years ago, and I still love and wear it to this day...  $24 is probably what it'd cost (at least!!) if you were to buy materials and taking the time to do it yourself.  Sounds like it'd be worth the money... :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sepia Tone in Photoshop
World Press Photo Exhibit 2009
World Press Photos Of The Year
Anthropographia Photo Exhibit on Human Rights
How to Take 3D Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...