A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern saving/transfer tutorial  (Read 5865 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alliebeth
« on: April 18, 2010 12:40:58 PM »

Okay, so I find myself having to make serious full bust adjustments to every pattern I use, so I figured I would post this easy tutorial on how to avoid cutting up your patterns to alter them. Also, I despise that light fluffy tissue that patterns come in.

So, here goes Smiley

What you will need: Pattern to trace, scissors used for cutting plastic, 1-2 white plastic garbage bags (I use the Walmart brand 13 gallon ones), a yardstick/ruler, cans/bottles to use as weights, a medium or fine point sharpie pen (multiple colors if you want).

Unfold the plastic bag, but don't OPEN it. Lay it flat.

The bag should have two lengthwise "seams". Cut these off so you can open the bag.

What it looks like after cutting off the seams. Open it up so it's a long piece.

I am going to be tracing pieces 1-6 in a size 18 to make Top A from this pattern.

Lay out the paper pattern that you want to trace. Here, I need pieces 1 and 2.

Place the plastic bag over the pattern pieces you want. Smooth everything out so you can see through to the paper pattern markings.

Begin tracing with your sharpie, careful not to smudge wet lines. I used a can and a jar to hold everything in place. A ruler or other straight edge can help trace longer portions.

Make sure to transfer ALL pattern markings and labels, including the # of the piece and notches, folds, etc. Repeat the steps above until you have all your needed pieces traced. I was able to get all but 1 (very long) piece on 1 garbage bag.

Finished (uncut) pattern pieces laying on my kitchen floor. I much prefer the plastic to the paper, and like that it isn't opaque like regular paper. When going to cut these, I suggest using a rotary cutter, it works wonders!

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps you, even if it is kind of a "duh" tutorial, and I hope I posted this in the right section. Not sure where ELSE it would go ^_^;

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010 04:15:38 PM »

This is a pretty neat tutorial, thanks for sharing with us! I need to make some adjustments to my patterns as well (petite alterations) but I use large pieces of tracing paper. The plastic trash bag will probably withstand more handling over time though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010 04:37:57 PM »

what a great idea. will have to give this a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duika

Si os dan papel pautado, escribid por el otro lado

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010 02:50:06 PM »

Just tried it. It's great, you're GENIUS  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myclouds
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 07:16:41 PM »

I've been looking for different ways to transfer patterns! I'll try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sally1019
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010 06:50:51 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing this idea!  Grin  I am just learning to sew (mostly for my daughter). It seemed like such a waste not to be able to use the other sizes of the same pattern. Now I know what to do; actually I tried your method yesterday and it worked like a charm. So next year, when she's up a size, I'll be able to use my same pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010 02:51:42 PM »

I had not thought of using garbage bags before.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I would also suggest a pattern tracing product (by Pellon, I think), that can be purchased regular price for $1.99 from Joann's - but with a coupon, you can buy for $1 yard.  Use the same principle as the one you described using garbage bags, but it works well when the pattern is longer than a garbage bag.  The paper folds nicely for storage, but irons flat and doesn't tear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Revue
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010 02:22:45 AM »

Oh wow, this is BRILLIANT! And I'm glad I saw this thread because I was about to cut a precious, precious pattern! Thanks for sharing! This will definitely come in handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Masks - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Create a Reflection - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Highlight Someone - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Let It Slide Part 1/2 - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...