A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help needed! Table decs for my mother's wedding...  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bekibutton
« on: April 18, 2010 12:09:43 PM »

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me come up with some ideas for table decorations for my mother's wedding. I'll give a little bit of background on it ...

She's getting remarried in June. She's asked me to sort out the table decs as my 'present' to her. Her dress is white with bead-and-sequin teal-y turquoise-y flowers on it. The men are wearing suits with cream waistcoats and teal ties. They're having burnt-orange rose buttonholes.

The main centrepieces for the tables are small white birdcages. My mother wanted to put pillar candles in but as they won't fit, three tealights look lovely clustered in the bottom, although as it'll be June ie.warm and light 'til late, candles might be a bit unnecessary.

I've managed to get a couple of lists off my mother of things she and her fiance like:

mother
orange gerberas, skiing, running, mountain biking, wine & champagne, the sunshine, reading books, gardening, long hot baths, marshmallows

fiance
skiing, mountain biking, stella beer, cars, motorbikes, running, food generally Smiley fishing, tigers, leopards elephants, fizzy cola bottles, t-shirts with funny slogans

I'm pretty stuck on what to do, and whilst I'd love to put feathers and buttons and beads and birds and butterflies everywhere, it's more 'me' than 'them' and of course the day is about 'them'!

Any ideas will be much appreciated Smiley

Becki
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010 01:34:28 PM by bekibutton » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was gonna take over the world but got distracted by something shiny

beckybutton.wordpress.com
beckybutton.etsy.com
hardyjenni
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010 01:11:31 PM »

Indoor or outdoor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
bekibutton
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010 01:31:48 PM »

It's indoor, in a hotel. So I'm imagining the reception area is going to be quite spacious with high-ish ceilings, probably quite posh and with a dancefloor in the middle. I really should find out what it actually looks like shouldn't I?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckybutton.etsy.com
kristina-nicole
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010 08:38:40 PM »

Hi There!

I hope I can help.  Smiley  I'm a professional wedding vendor {favors & gifts and paper crafed decor}.

First, I'd check with the hotel if they will even allow an "open flame" as they call it, a lit candle, inside the hotel. Many do not allow this and you may have to go with something entirely different.

So, here's maybe two suggestions:

If mom is more glamorous & classic: accent the top of the birdcages with mini gerber daisies & have loops of teal sheer ribbon streaming through them and maybe two tails down either side. You can fill it with small baggies of white pillow mints or candies for the guests.

If mom is for funky and in current trend: make two teal sparrows out of paper and hang them within the cage. They can even have her & future hubby's name on it. Then again, loop some ribbons, maybe just white, on the top.

Smiley

xo,

Kristina-Nicole
kristina@kristina-nicole.com if you have any questions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 06:40:32 PM »

How about something like this:

You could get inexpensive birds on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Artificial-Mushroom-Bird-24-Decorative-Birds-New-/350303362348?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518fb51d2c

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010 10:26:18 AM »

ooooh!  I love pics snips and snails posted.  those could be quite pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
bekibutton
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010 02:43:16 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated Smiley

Although there have been a few suggestions of birds of various forms (logical really, given that I'm using birdcages!), I don't think I'm going to do anything with birds - neither my mother nor her fiance are very 'nature-y' people. I will probably incorporate ribbons in some form, either draped from the top or entwined in the bars of the cage...they're also doing large goodie bags so I don't need to put favours or anything in the cage unless I get really desperate for ideas!

I ought to mention I'm on a bit of a tight budget for these: 40 for 8 cages so 5 a cage. I could probably stretch to artificial flowers unless I grow my own real ones (a possibility - could have flowerpots with plants growing out through the cage?)...

I have thought about going a bit 'far out' and doing 4 cages as 'him' and 4 as 'her' - hers would have a miniature dolls house bath filled with large irridescent beads (she likes long hot baths), maybe a couple of books at the side and a little glass of wine. His would have a motorbike or a car but I haven't thought further than that. Are those ideas too weird?

I was trying to fit my mother into the categories suggested by kristina-nichole - glamorous & classic or funky & current trend. She's not really either (awkward huh). It's all a bit of a long and complicated story but to be honest I don't actually know her that well these days. And although I have known of him for 10 years I don't really know him either. Still, I like a challenge! 

Thanks again for all your help Smiley

Becki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckybutton.etsy.com
katara
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010 11:29:35 PM »

How about suspending different lengths of crystal beads inside the cage - perhaps teal and turquoise? You could even suspend some feathers too.
Another idea is to suspend a photograph (printed on both sides) inside the cage with a small arrangement on top of the cage.

I would also consider spray painting the white birdcages - white can be a bit 'stark'.

I'm being inspired by the idea of a sun catcher.
http://naturesmysteries.net/images/suncatchers.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Shares Easy Recipe For Delicious Financiers, A French Dessert
Cast-Iron Skillet Fruit Cake Recipe
How To Make Perfect Cheesecake Blintzes
How to Make a Pecan and Plum Galette
How to Make Chipotle Pecan Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...