A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: oh oh mama pads..TUTORIAL....w/ inserts  (Read 18110 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , craftster_best_of_2010 , menstrual_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011 07:18:48 AM »

Once my sewing machine is back among the living, I will be giving this a try. I might have to bring my poor sewing machine to the dr Sad

And seeing as I don't have any flannel on hand, I see a trip to the fabric and/or the thrift store in my future Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissLuhvLee
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011 04:13:16 PM »

oh i LOVE these, and I LOVEEEE the mushroom print! what fabric is that? if you dont mind me asking Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011 05:08:49 PM »

oh i LOVE these, and I LOVEEEE the mushroom print! what fabric is that? if you dont mind me asking Tongue

THANKS...
The mushroom print is a flannel from Joannes, I got it a few years back.... not to likely that they have it any longer, but who knows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

izzyasylum
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012 01:46:24 PM »

I really need to sit down and make some of these for next month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2013 11:11:28 PM »

Thanks for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizzyEU
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013 02:27:28 PM »

Forgot to mention - made these as monthly pads a while ago after seeing possibly your post. I've used absorbent cloth and a layer of waterproof cloth (looks like cloth but is lined with plastic, is sold as bedwetting sheets). I've found adding strings at both ends makes them stay in place better, but other than that it's great. Oh and for nighttime I made them extra thick and as rectangles, saved a lot of pinning-and-cutting work. I wash mine normally as well, frankly, not going back to plastic pads anymore after this unless I must; the periodically occurring rash is gone. So thanks for that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013 02:32:57 PM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013 07:44:50 AM »

Great tutorial!  I've made some out of flannel and they turned out great!  Personally my dish with disposables is the sticky stuff.  It seems they use different sticky stuff for down the middle of the pad than the wings.  The wings seem to have industrial stuff and it makes the bottom of the undies icky the middle shifts IMHO.  I'm not overly fond of the way the disposable ones feel.  I buy name brand usually always or kotex....   But the cloth ones are more comfortable for lack of a better term.

I don't have my snap pliers yet so I just use safety pins on the bottom for now.  But I pin the wings to the bottom of the undies at the moment to keep them from shifting and moving up or down.  I have read where using polar fleece on the bottom layer helps keep things from shifting.  So I'll be picking some of that up on my next trip to town.   I also ordered a KAM pliers and snaps so I'll apply those when they come.  I have read where the KAM is better than the one at walmart in the craft section.  The KAM is most often seen on cloth diapers.  I ordered the size 16 snaps.   

Some I used 2 layers of flannel and others 4 layers of flannel because it's what I had on hand and I didn't want to wait to experiment.  I'm making AIO rather than the kind shown that you use liners to adjust to the amount of absorbancy that you need.   They both turned out pretty good, but I don't think I will be using 4 layers of flannel anymore.   I'm going to also pick up some cotton terry the next time I'm in walmart and experiment with that, but I'm also going to order some bamboo terry or bamboo fleece as I've read where it's more absorbent than the cotton terry.  It may be trimmer than the cotton terry as well, but being more absorbent you can use less layers for an overall trimmer pad. I think the cotton terry would be just fine for a pantyliner or for light days.

Polar fleece however doesn't hold liquids it repells them so that's another reason why some use it as a backing material.  It doesn't make them waterproof but it does help some.  But I'm also going to use some PUL which I ordered and it came yesterday to make it more waterproof.  Having 3 kids hasn't been so kind on the bladder either for sneezes and I also have allergies to dust mold and pollen and I live in a rural farming community.

Some use a cotton quilters fabric for the top, but I'm going to stick to flannel.  Some how I just don't like the idea of the cotton fabric for the top because flannel does a much better job of wicking liquids away and into the core of the pad.  It seems like it would be a tad cold to the skin when wet as well.  But that's my opinion.  I did see my walmart did have some minky but it's the kind with raised dots, so I'm not sure if I will give that a go or if I will order some of the flat stuff online yet......

But I've done a fair bit of reading on the subject since learning how popular they were becoming.   I got side tracked on pinterest when I first learned more about them because of school girls in Africa not having access to these products and would have to miss school or drop out because they didn't have anything to use.   So sad.... but that got me interested first for making some to donate (some sites have requirements and set standards for what is donated for the style of the pads to make cleaning easier for them)  but also for myself.  To which I never thought I would do!  I used disposable diapers on all my kids for the ewwww factor.       

Any ideas on how to introduce the concept to a 17 year old?   She also has horrible cramps from her period and reading some claim that it not only helps cramps but also so the flow isn't so heavy.  Apparently from the chemicals used in the disposables?   Even if it doesn't help with those issues it would be nice to help give the environment a break on a few less disposables in the landfill.  I'm not overly "green" or a tree-hugger or a hippy or whatever the new term is.... as I do like my disposable products for some things.  But I really dislike disposable feminine pads...... and well you can make these pretty....    I also have a 9 year old and well someday in the next few year she will be needing these as well. 

I was watching a video on youtube and she I think rinses her pads out and then stores them in a bucket.  Two days before washing she soaks them in the bucket with some oxiclean for the two days and hasn't had issues with staining.  She also uses a stain stick sometimes of a particular brand, but I can't remember what brand.  I usually use Shout Advance around here for stain remover just because it has those magical enzymes to remove stains, but I was thinking of making a soap with 100% cooconut oil and using a lower superfat as a stain stick.  (superfact of maybe 2%)

Next thing to tackle will be ordering a diva cup or similar product?  Does anyone recommend a good brand from a particular site that you like?   I also like my tampons because of a really heavy flow..... (TMI) but I'd like to try a reusable cup instead.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Preliminary Layout of Your Chalk Drawing
How to Set Up and Lighting for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Draw with Chalk Pastel
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - Final Letters
How to Start Using Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...