A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First knitting post - miracle socks  (Read 1271 times)
Tags for this thread: socks  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2010 09:41:15 AM »

I've been knitting since last August, having started crocheting about 9 months before that. Despite being heavily into craftster, this is my first post in such a long while as I've just got the internet in my house. Huzzah! It's ok to check out craftster for a little while at work, but taking the time to upload pictures is just wasting time, you know?
So these are my first socks, and even though they're full of lumps, bumps and gaps, I'm so proud of them. I call them miracle socks because there were so many things wrong with the kit/pattern I used to knit them, it's a miracle I finished them. I won't go into all the details because I don't really want to spread negativity around, but anyone who's interested can check out my amazon review here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sock-Knitting-Kit-Alyce-Benevides/dp/0811865924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271521108&sr=8-1
One thing which will leap out at you is that one toe is a different colour. Why? Because the kit didn't provide enough yarn, of course! Pfft, Roll Eyes . Ah well, now they're done I love them so much. I use them as comfy socks for about the house, as that way I get to wear them nearly everyday.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JustKat

I LUV 2 Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010 09:59:26 AM »

If this is your first knit project it is awesome! You have achieved more than I could have knitting. I can't knit at all. I have attempted it a few times, but I love to crochet more.
Great job tho for real. I actually like the black toe. It adds character to the finished project. Keep on knitting on. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010 10:19:30 AM »

They're really cute Smiley
I like the color and I also like the black toe. I'm not a big fan of matching socks Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010 10:26:26 AM »

Yeah, in a way they're kind of perfect for me because I can never seem to keep my shop bought socks in matching pairs for any length of time. I really like the black toe too and think I'm going to take this design feature into any other plainish socks I do.
Justkat, I'm afraid this is not my first knitting project, but they are the first "complicated" thing I've done. I started them at Christmas and only recently finished them, as it took a long time for me to get another skein of suitable weight yarn. >shakes fist at pattern book which is sitting on her coffee table.

Thank you for your kind comments. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010 12:07:11 PM »

They are cute despite their issues.  I can't knit, but I want to learn, just so I can make knitted socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
missTallulah
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 07:26:23 AM »

So pretty! Not only did you knit some rockin' socks, you also imparted your great sock starting skills to me. From now on i shall knit nothing but socks (well, for at leat a week anyway).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellz Bellz
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010 04:28:21 AM »

Aw Michelle I love your miracle socks!Especially the mis-matched toe...it's cute! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would dig a thousand holes,to lie next to you...I would dig a thousand more if I needed too <3
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010 08:14:34 AM »

I totally love the mis-matched toe. That's the best part. I think I might do something similar next time I make socks.

I'm sorry you had a tough time with that kit. Knitting socks can be a tricky and frustrating process. I had to take a sock knitting class to really figure out how it was done. Great job! Glad you stuck it out - the result is fab.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seasoned Oven Baked Fries Recipe
Cheddar Steak Sandwich Recipe
Jalapeno Cheddar Rice Casserole Recipe
Basic Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Fresh Fried Corn Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...