A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alabama Chanin stye coat -- what is this type of coat called? Swing coat? Update  (Read 1232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: April 17, 2010 09:34:12 AM »

I absolutely adore Alabama Chanin clothing.  I would love to have one of her embroidered coats, but I do not have $4,000+ to buy one.  I would like to try to make one for myself.  I'm thinking if I could make the coat out of cotton jersey, I could slowly add the embroidery over time.

Here's a link to the style of coat I like:  http://www.alabamachanin.com/store/Annas-Garden-Coat

To try to find a similar pattern, I need to know what this type of coat is called.  It's not really a swing coat, is it?  The overall shape is like a dress silhouette, but I don't know what it's really called.  Anyone know?  Is there a particular pattern manufacturer that might be more likely to have patterns like this than others?  My body size is on the border between regular sized patterns and plus-sized patterns, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

update:  I think they do refer to it as a "swing coat," at least at Alabama Chanin.  The link I used before is gone, probably because they update their product lines regularly, but here is one similar to what I posted before, except a different collar:  http://www.alabamachanin.com/annas-garden-long-coat
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013 09:44:06 AM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010 10:39:48 AM »

This is an awesome coat. I don't know if it has a specific name, but the major pattern companies all have similar coat patters. I think Butterick 5295 could work, though it's not for knit fabric. You might have to fiddle with it a bit because of that. Vogue has some nice coat patterns as well but again, don't think any of them are specifically for knits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010 06:14:58 PM »

That Butterick pattern looks perfect for this coat!  Also, if you keep in mind the fact that all the embroidery probably inhibits at least 90% of the stretch, you'd need the pattern ease of a woven, anyway.  As for the type, I'm not all coat savvy, but it reminds me of a very, very feminine trench.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010 06:20:47 PM »

Oh, the Butterick pattern does look perfect -- it has the notched lapel and everything!  And good point about the embroidery inhibiting the stretch -- I hadn't thought of that and was worried about using a knit for a woven pattern.

Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tarriknits
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010 02:00:16 AM »

i woud cal that style of coat a frock coat, although that is a more historic term, i'm not sure what designers would refer to it as now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 08:49:33 PM »

Thank you for the information!  I can see why they call it a frock coat -- the coat really follows the lines of the dress almost exactly. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JGv
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013 06:10:04 AM »

Hi, I realize it's been a while since your posting but I have been equally obsessed with that coat you asked about and decided to try to find a pattern.  I was wondering if you had any luck? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013 09:30:56 AM »

Hi -- I still haven't made the coat, but I found a pattern I think has the overall silhouette:

Simplicity 2812
 http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/20717

I think the Butterick pattern recommended was out of print, or else maybe I was just grabbing patterns at JoAnn when the Simplicity patterns were 99 cents.  Looking back, the Butterick is probably a better match than the Simplicity, but I think I liked the options of doing different collar variations.  The stand collar variation would be very similar to some other Alabama Chanin coats I like as well.  I would do the coat unlined in Jersey and probably add the embroidery slowly over time.

Let me know if you end up making one similar -- I don't find many people who have heard of Alabama Chanin, and fewer still who are obsessed with the style the way I am.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Torn Book Trailer
Mann and Ornstein on the Hazards of Partisanship
How to Make Money by Self Publishing
Howard Jacobson on the Importance of Comedy, Filth and Sex
Rodes Fishburne on His Book Going to See the Elephant
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...