A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Random Acts of Kindness/Positive Thinking Craftalong  (Read 19504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010 07:49:04 PM »

This weeks act of kindness: picked up someones dropped iPod and currently trying to track down the owner on Craiglist/Kajiji
That is very nice of you! That can be very surprising to some people, I once found a brand new fancy cell phone in the bathroom of this call center I worked at. When I brought it to a team leader, she were very surprised that I had turned it in, and the person who had lost it was extremely greatful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010 09:21:43 PM »

Thanks Pixieval Kiss

I like to think that someone would do the same for me, hasn't happened yet  Grin but maybe just maybe!!
Wasn't sure where to hand it in to, if I was in the UK I always took things to the nearest police station  but here in Canada I'm not sure if the police accept Lost and founds  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010 09:39:10 PM »

That's so sweet of you!

My mom left her little holder that had her ID and credit cards in her grocery cart yesterday in a parking lot. One of the employees found it and put it in the store safe for her! Hmm, I am thinking it would be nice if we gave the employee(s) a little thank you, saved so much time, worry, and potential financial problems!

Oh, and maybe a bit of good karma or what have you: Two employees were discussing a problem at Joann's the other day where another customer didn't have enough coupons for her purchase. I volunteered an extra coupon I had, and the woman was really appreciative and then went on her way. Then, as I was chatting with my cashier she realized I hadn't been able to find an item I had looked for, so she had someone go find it and bring it up front! So nice of her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mink_bikini

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010 09:58:09 PM »

Ahh that's so cool, it makes you feel good about the world when things come full circle and help you out.

Just one more quick non crafty but positive post, 3 years ago I was in a car accident that really shook me up, it happened outside a Tattoo shop, I was hurt (not seriously, but still in lots of pain) and the car door was so caved in I couldn't get out without help. The Tattooist and their wife helped me out, sat me down and gave me some hot tea to help calm me down as I was sobbing and totally in shock. It was such a lovely thing to do and really made me feel better. I took a bunch of flowers round to them whilst the thought was still in my head to do it a couple of days later, paying someone back for kindness is one of THE most satisfying feelings isn't it but you have to do it quickly before life gets in the way and the thought is lost  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010 10:05:04 PM »

Oh, and maybe a bit of good karma or what have you: Two employees were discussing a problem at Joann's the other day where another customer didn't have enough coupons for her purchase. I volunteered an extra coupon I had, and the woman was really appreciative and then went on her way. Then, as I was chatting with my cashier she realized I hadn't been able to find an item I had looked for, so she had someone go find it and bring it up front! So nice of her!
That happened to me at Hobby Lobby one day! I ran there straight after work so didn't have my 40% off coupon, the customer in front of me in line gave me one!! Totally made my day, as I was running there to get a fairly expensive machine for a gift.

mink_bikini - I am so thankful to you for bringing them flowers! so many people do wonderful things every single day, that may seem like a "duh" to them, but mean so much to us! it is good to encourage!!

I am very impressed with Craftsters as a whole, and always feel good when I come to this site. We have charity craftalongs(Project Linus, and Quilts for Kids), and so many positive people! And all the people that are willing to help us with the different crafts we are working on!
Before I discovered our great site, if I was having problems with a craft, that was it, I was having problems. But now, I have so many people to ask for help!

And I'd like to give a couple of virtual hugs.

MareMare- for encouraging me to do something that I've daydreamed about, that I'm not going to say just yet in case its not approved.

Casey1201- We have found crafty friends in each other. I get so much support from you all the time, it always makes me so happy to chat with you!

ThatKid- being so positive, and such an awesome knitter!!

pinokeeo- for being my craftster crush for ages! Is there anything the woman can't do?

alwaysinmyroom- for moding our fastly growing craftalong board(amongst others she's monderating), being such a positive influence... Even though she is talking and moding so many people, everytime I see her post it is a very personal PM, like she really knows the person!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010 03:22:22 AM »

Re the Gratitude program, I started hearing little snippets about gratitude, and then read an article in Readers Digest, Life is better with a gratitude attitude, by David Hochman.  He decided to spend a month being grateful to see if it made a differance to his life.
He quotes Robert Emmons, a pioneer at the University of california, who pioneered research on the benefits of positive thinking." He quoted new studies that indicate that even pretending to be thankful, raises levels of the chemicals associated with pleasure and contentment; serotonin and dopamine.
Another study showed that people who wrote down what they feel grateful for felt 25% happier after 10 weeks than those who did not. They even felt better about their jobs and excersisedan hour and a half more per week."

The end of the article had three main tips.

1. Visualise it, create a collage of what you are grateful for and display it in a prominant part of your house. One cute idea they suggest is creating a thank you tree, and adding post it note leaves, to acknowledge everything you are grateful for. Great for kids. Grin

2. Ask questions, Choose someone close to you are ask yourself, what have I received, what have I given? This may lead you to discover you owe more to others than you think.

3. Go weekly, Focusing on gratitude once a week seems to be about the right amount,but do what works best for you.

I started a chunky book of gratitude, I will find a link, brb,
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=334839.20
scroll to the bottom to find the first page Cheesy
regards
S
ps, I made a book for a friend ages ago, thought I would edit the post and add it to here,
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=197983.msg2097746#msg2097746

Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010 04:25:00 AM by ScrappySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
sofee

did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010 07:08:27 AM »

www.postpals.co.uk
a website set up so you can write letters/emails/send gifts to sick children - make their day  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010 07:23:57 AM »

www.postpals.co.uk
a website set up so you can write letters/emails/send gifts to sick children - make their day  Smiley

awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mink_bikini

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010 07:35:35 AM »

www.postpals.co.uk

Thanks Sofee, what an amazing website I wish I'd have known about this when I was back home in the UK, within 30 seconds I was in tears after reading their stories. Now just need to stop the sniffles and contact one/all of those children, and then give a great big bear hug to my healthy baby boy, that is my feeling grateful moment for today.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010 07:41:42 AM »

amazing website, I was reading about a small boy, and well, I need to do something.
And yes, grateful that my own children are well.
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Cosmo from Fairy Oddparents
How to Draw Celia from Harvest Moon
How to Draw Wanda from Fairly Oddparents
How to Draw Timmy Time
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...