A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Random Acts of Kindness/Positive Thinking Craftalong  (Read 19849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2011 01:35:56 PM »

What an amazing, beautiful idea for a thread.  Consider me a member!

Now, what to do... there's so much inspiration here, and so many avenues.  I want to explore them all!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Cadaverxstitch

Need a custom cross stitch pattern done?  PM me!
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2011 02:19:31 PM »

Well, I know where and how to start!  Hubby has had a really long day at work, and while it's nice to do nice things for him and not really that random, he needs a bit of extra special attention and niceness tonight.

I've prepared a good, warming, hearty meal, and will be giving him a neck and back massage just because he needs one tonight, without him asking for it or hinting at it  ("ooooh sweetie, my neck is so sooooooore, I wish there was something I could do about it.... *sad face*").

It's not much, but it'll make his day nicer, doesn't cost me a thing to do, and it's a start. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2011 06:05:45 AM »

"sad face" ha ha ha

You remind us that our own loved ones deserve random acts of kindness as well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2011 06:58:36 AM »

Always, my loved ones deserve a lot of kindness.  They're the ones I gripe to when common courtesy won't allow me to gripe at the people who are actually the ones irritating me, if that makes any sense. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2011 04:58:19 PM »

CadaverXstitch, that makes complete sense.  I'm in the same boat atm.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2011 09:24:41 PM »

So, I've been nice to the fam lately, and while they seem to be a bit suspicious (!!!) things here are so much better.  I wasn't being kind to make things better for ME, but it seems to have worked out that way.  And I'm also quite embarrassed that I have been so unpleasant and short-tempered when stressed.

Now, I'm going to expand to a bit of a wider circle.  It's a bit crafty, a bit not.  I have started my vegetable garden, and planted extras so that I can share the literal fruits of my labor with our neighbors.  I'm going to bring them some fresh stuff, as well as some home canned salsa, jams and pickles.  My neighbor has three kids and she works really, really hard both to support her family as well as be a good mom, and it shows.  She's such a nice lady, makes do with not-much, and has the best behaved kids on the block (yes, including mine!).  She loves fresh produce, but just doesn't have time to grow it herself, and doesn't have the money to get the best, freshest produce at the store.  I've also planned to plant blackberries/raspberries along our shared fence, so that they can have fresh berries when they decide to fruit. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011 09:27:13 PM by CadaverXStitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2011 09:32:18 PM »

CadaverXStitch - that is a wonderful thing to do! I know that your neighbor will really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2011 06:01:16 AM »

cadaverxstitch--what a lovely gesture! I know a lot of our neighbors are elderly and would plant veggies if they could...I think we might just plant a few extra tomato plants to share this year... I wonder what else we can do to help out a bit?  I know many of the neighbors helped out shoveling snow but I bet there are a few DIY chores that might need to be done as well...

I am glad that you are reaping some benefits from just changing how you treat others...when you open your heart like that, it is amazing how it changes you for the better...good for you!  I hope you will continue to share your lovely stories!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
CadaverXStitch

All fear the hypnodog

« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2011 08:00:35 AM »

Always,
Maybe we can do something (this thread seems to fit, but if another thread should be opened, please let me know) along the lines of crafting to make our neighborhoods better places?

My neighborhood isn't the best.  I live in a military town, and there are many unique pressures that come from that-- lots of spouses and kids left behind during deployments, and the soldiers work such long hours that a normal family life is quite often a huge struggle. I also live in an older part of town, where the homes are small, and no one seems to have two cents to rub together, military and civilian alike.  We've got problems with crime, much like any other community. But.... the vast majority of people in my neighborhood are good people. 

We don't have anything like a Whole Foods Market here.  Our main grocery-and-everything-else store DOES start with an "W", but that's where the similarities end, ya know? 

I want to help my neighbor (and possibly other neighbors, depending on crop sizes) with fresh, straight-from-the-garden fruit, veggies, and herbs.  It's always nice to receive gifts, especially when the gifts are something you'd have to buy anyway, and will be used.

I'd also like to beautify my yard so that perhaps other people can enjoy the scent of roses, lavender or lilacs wafting through the air.  They're also a whole lot prettier than the crabgrass and bald patches of hard-baked soil that we seem to have in abundance here.  It's a small thing, and I do garden for my own enjoyment, but maybe it would brighten someone's day just a little. 

I love your idea of helping out elderly neighbors (or any neighbor who needs it, really) with DIY projects.  Unfortunately, I'm not exactly handy myself, and would probably do a lot more harm than good, unless there is a method of crocheting drywall that I don't know about!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2011 08:17:24 AM »

Craftster has a whole category on crafting for various charities, but you are so right...trying to do things in your own area seems the best to me...I think we often feel helpless and that we can't do a lot due to our own crap going on...but this thread was started to do little things to show people you care...sometimes the right attitude can pull people into action...

it only takes one person to plant the seed of possibilities...I find that a lot of people will help but someone needs to be the "organizer"...a community garden can be started by someone has to find the plot, get supplies, get seeds, etc.

Since you love to garden, grow extra flowers to make bouquets to some of your neighbors--maybe you can craft a simple vase or make a wreath for their door...

You can dry the various fragrant herbs and make lovely sachets or bath products...spoil someone with a small jar of sea salt scrubs...

A notecard to a hard working waitress...special blend of tea...cookies for the soldiers...teach kids to knit, crochet or make something for their mother or father...support cards for people to send to a military person...

I am not a church going type person but I am not opposed to helping serve food to the needy or donate books to send overseas...

Sounds like you can do a lot for your community...

Oh--and I know there is a tutorial here to make seed bombs using an ice cube tray?  Check it out!  Our township is too poor to maintain our sign and the pathetic flower bed below it...I am going to approach them this spring and volunteer to clean it up and plant flowers!  I am going to go to the local nursery in our township and see if they would be willing to donate the flowers (can't hurt to ask!)...it is a small and silly thing, but I think it will cheer everyone up who goes by the sign everyday to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Twisted Knit Stitch with a Double Wrapped String
How to Make a Shiny Christmas Ball Wreath
How to Make a Twisted Knit Stitch Using Two Strings as One
How to Make a Single Crochet Stitch
How to Make a Slip Knot Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...