A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Triangle peyote shape - how to?  (Read 15410 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft and bake
Formerly known as FASHION_freak; member since October 21, 2006

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2010 11:16:27 AM »

Anyone know how to do this?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010 02:01:37 PM »

OK, here's how I would do it. First of all, I'd use brick stitch rather than peyote. Peyote would need to be done down the length of the sides, whereas brick stitch will work from one end of each side to the other, if that make sense.

First of all, it looks to be about 8 beads around. Make a ladder stitch base 8 beads around, and make it into a circle. Leave a long tail (12" min.). Bead it into a tube 17 rows high, then start decreasing it. The decreased part won't be a tube, just open, like you would do a brick stitch earring. At the other end of the tube, decrease it the same way. Make 2 more tubes, then weave the corners together.

I realize these instructions require some bead weaving experience. About.com or a general web search will turn up all kinds of instructions on brick stitch if you don't know it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
craft and bake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010 04:35:32 AM »

Sounds confusing. I'll have to google some of those techniques. Thanks for the help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MinnieMay9
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010 11:08:53 AM »

I think it kind of looks like the top to a beaded triangle box, but with a hole in the center, and two of them combined into one piece (that was probably confusing for everyone not in my head right now)
I'm trying to find a pic... oh here is one I copied from the back of my fav book! (which I really need to buy and let the library have their copy back for more than a few days)  In the book, Little Bead Boxes by Julia S Pretl, it goes into more detail about the making of each box and how to read the charts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010 11:13:38 AM by MinnieMay9 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010 11:26:36 AM »

It appears to me that it is indeed peyote stitch, and that (as others have mentioned), each side is beaded independently and then joined.

If you start with the "inside" long side and bead "up", you would just increase on both ends every time for as many rows as thickness-of-side that you want. That way, you'll end up with the staggered bits that angle in such a way that they fit together when you're done.

Now, I'm intrigued. I've GOT to try this for myself.

I blame you  Tongue (joking - it'll be fun).

Let's both try!

Good luck,
~CD~

p.s. Is it flat or does it have dimension to it (are the sides tube-ish?). On second look, it looks like the sides could be tube-shaped.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010 11:31:25 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft and bake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010 11:40:43 AM »

It appears to me that it is indeed peyote stitch, and that (as others have mentioned), each side is beaded independently and then joined.

If you start with the "inside" long side and bead "up", you would just increase on both ends every time for as many rows as thickness-of-side that you want. That way, you'll end up with the staggered bits that angle in such a way that they fit together when you're done.

Now, I'm intrigued. I've GOT to try this for myself.

I blame you  Tongue (joking - it'll be fun).

Let's both try!

Good luck,
~CD~

p.s. Is it flat or does it have dimension to it (are the sides tube-ish?). On second look, it looks like the sides could be tube-shaped.

Thanks for your input! I'm gonna give it a shot over the weekend and if I can accomplish it. I really want to learn this technique. It would look great with some of my planned pieces.

PS - It looks tubular to me...atleast that's the look I'm shooting for! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010 12:28:36 PM »

Hmm . . .

I wonder if it would be possible to do this is a flat piece which is zipped as the final step to creating each side.

If so, one could start with the length of the short side. Increase evenly up to the longest length of each side, then continue to evenly decrease to the length of the starting short side length.

Then zipping up should (if I'm picturing this correctly) result in the staggered end bits.

This is gonna be fun Smiley

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft and bake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010 12:31:39 PM »

Hmm . . .

I wonder if it would be possible to do this is a flat piece which is zipped as the final step to creating each side.

If so, one could start with the length of the short side. Increase evenly up to the longest length of each side, then continue to evenly decrease to the length of the starting short side length.

Then zipping up should (if I'm picturing this correctly) result in the staggered end bits.

This is gonna be fun Smiley

~CD~

Well if you experiment with this and get good results let me know how you did it!  Cheesy I'll be experimenting this weekend hopefully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010 01:37:46 PM »

ROFL!

I'm still thinking about this.

I have another idea.

I think I'll try making a standard tube the size of the shortest side, and then reduce along both edges (after it is complete) to a single bead because it looks like the ends need to be more "open" and less of a closed tube in order to accommodate the join.

Fun stuff!
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft and bake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010 01:45:46 PM »

ROFL!

I'm still thinking about this.

I have another idea.

I think I'll try making a standard tube the size of the shortest side, and then reduce along both edges (after it is complete) to a single bead because it looks like the ends need to be more "open" and less of a closed tube in order to accommodate the join.

Fun stuff!
~CD~

LMAO! I am still thinking too. I'm semi-new to peyote...I've only done 4 or 5 cuffs. I've never done free-form, increasing, decreasing, tubular peyote...NOTHING! I just have to experiment while looking at the picture. LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder in Comedy
What Do Entrepreneurs and Standup Comedians Have in Common
Finding Joy Performing Standup Comedy
Matt Ruby on How Note Taking Helps Comedian Generate New Material
Matt Ruby on How Social Media Transforms Standup Comedy Career
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...