A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions for T-shirt quilts  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: April 15, 2010 10:04:23 AM »

I've thouroughly read all of the t-shirt quilt posts I could find here but I still have some questions.  I'm wanting to make a soft t-shirt quilt that will be used daily for couch snuggling.  So the softer the better, but more importantly, the sturdier the better.  It'll probably get washed a lot.

1.  What kind of interfacing should I use to keep it sturdy yet soft?  I've only used interfacing once and totally didn't know what I was doing. Is there a brand you recommend?  I'll probably be buying at JoAnn's, Hancock's, or if I know what I'm looking for, I can buy online.  If I'm going to the store, would it just be best to ask there what they think would work?

2. Should I add cotton borders to my squares for extra sturdiness?  Or will it be sturdy either way with the interfacing? I may do the borders regardless just for looks and because all my shirts aren't the same size. 

3. What should I use for backing?  I've seen a lot of crafters mention fleece.  Love the idea of fleece for the softness but how will it hold up?  I've only made one quilt ever so is fleece going to be trickier for a beginner because of the stretchiness?  What about flannel?  Or any other options?  Speaking of flannel, would a flannel sheet work?  Or would I be better off piecing flannel from a bolt?

4.  The quilting:  I will tie if I have to but I prefer to just machine stitch in the ditch since this is new to me and I lose interest in projects that take too long...they end up shelved and never finished.  Would fleece backing be a poor option for this? 

Thanks for any helpful hints.  If I missed any of the answers to these questions in my search, please direct me. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010 05:35:04 PM »

i assume you saw this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316881.0.  i used the fusible web. someone else posted that they used lightweight fusible and it was just fine.  you can get both at joann.  you're going to need a lot, so make sure you have a coupon or it's on sale.  they get asked the same question a lot and will know what to give you.  i didn't even have the sentence out of my mouth before there was interfacing in my hand  Smiley

i personally would use the remainder of the tshirts instead of cotton for borders/making up size in a square.  but that's me. 

i used fleece to back.  it gets very heavy.  i used my machine to 'tie' at the intersections of the tshirts with invisible nylon thread.  no patience for hand tying or stitching stretchy things in the ditch. if you definitely want to stitch in the ditch, i would use something nonstretchy on the back with a layer of batting.  flannel maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 08:05:58 AM »

Thanks.  I did see that other thread.  It gave me a lot of ideas!  I got some interfacing from Joann's.  Not sure what it's called but it looks like a very thin quilting cotton.  The girl that helped me said it's what she prefers for t-shirt quilts.  I did like that it felt really soft and not at all stiff.  I want this quilt to be for snuggling up with so I want it as warm and soft as possible.  Anyway, thanks for the advice.  Not sure when I'll get to start on this project since I have so many others in the works with deadlines!  I'll definitely post pics if I ever when I get it finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 7/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 1/4
How to Crochet a Cross Cable Pattern Part 2/4
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 2/9
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...