A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fine Art Photos  (Read 1686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stlphotogal
« on: April 15, 2010 08:01:19 AM »

I've been on the fence for a while about as to whether or not I should put up some of my fine art photography work for sale - I've done some gallery shows locally but would like to branch out. Therefore, I submit to you, fair readers of mighty craftster, some pictures for your review. Let me know what you guys think - if you'd buy them, if they need something different or if they just plain don't rev your engine. Thanks, in advance, for the advice, constructive criticism and guidance.

Angela Smiley

Spring Beauty

Achromatic Monday

Vintage

Flying Monkeys
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010 08:02:42 AM by stlphotogal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyBlue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010 08:19:26 AM »

They are completely breathtaking. I would DEFINITELY put them up for sale!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

follow me on Instagram  @delightfully.deedra
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010 08:57:25 AM »

Really nice photos Wink I like the first one the most, because of its "old". Looks like it wasn't taken by a digital camera :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010 09:01:36 AM »

they are all very pretty! I like the first and third ones better because honestly, super close-ups of flowers are a little cliche, but they DO sell to the general public really well, haha.

I think you could make some great sales with photos like these Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010 09:14:58 AM »

I like the look of the first one, had it been a real flower, then yes, I would buy it. What I like is the contrast of the delicate flower with the rough bark. I agree the flower close-ups are a bit over done lately. I also like vintage, I would definitely but it in card form and very likely as a wall hanging. I do like that each being basically monochromatic you see the textures and forms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010 09:29:48 AM »

These are stunning. Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
stlphotogal
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010 10:24:32 AM »

I like the look of the first one, had it been a real flower, then yes, I would buy it. What I like is the contrast of the delicate flower with the rough bark. I agree the flower close-ups are a bit over done lately. I also like vintage, I would definitely but it in card form and very likely as a wall hanging. I do like that each being basically monochromatic you see the textures and forms.

Ysmeine - the first one IS a real flower - it's a Missouri Native wildflower called Spring Beauty. I shot this one just last weekend at a Girl Scout camp in Missouri - our girls were helping out some younger troops and I had an hour of 'down time' to myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010 11:10:10 AM »

Agreed with some of the others here. Flower photos like these are done again and again. The general public likes them because they're pretty flowers, but someone who is experienced in art photography is more likely to pass right by them without a second thought. So whether these are successful depends on your audience really.
I like when people give me specific critique, so I'll try to do the same for you.
The color/tone of Spring Beauty is nice, but I would like to see something more in the image in focus. My eyes drift from spot to spot with nothing much to grab onto because of how shallow the depth of field is. Maybe if a little more of the flower was sharp, that would help. Of course this might also be different if I was looking at a high quality print instead of a small internet image.
Achromatic Monday and Flying Monkeys are very similar shots if you think about it. Same sort of composition, angle, use of the frame. There's nothing wrong with close ups of flowers, but if you really want people to notice them, something needs to be special about them. The yellow flower is typical but the other one is so strange already (I'm guessing it's also a flower, I've never seen one like that), so you have an interesting subject to work with there that draws my attention right away. But the regular composition puts me off a bit after a while. If you varied the angle, you could really get some shots that make people stop to wonder what the heck the photo is of and spend more time thinking about your work. Get down level with the flower, shoot from between the petals,vary the depth of field, etc. Then remember you don't have to display them the way you shot them: flip them sideways, upside down even, as long as the shadows make sense and the photo feels balanced when you look at it.
Vintage has nice tones to it as well but it looks a bit noisy,though that may be because it's shrunk down in the post. Do you mind if I ask what camera you're using? Personally, I would like it better if the main line of bottles wasn't centered (there's the same amount of space above as below them). Varying that makes a shot more interesting.
That said, overall I think you have a lot of potential here. These are nice photos and you'd probably sell them to a general audience just fine. Still, I would suggest being more varied in your angles and composition (don't be afraid to lay on the ground, balance on one foot with your elbow on a bookcase, etc. if that's what it takes to get in a position that gives you an interesting shot.) Even though your style of shooting seems more literal, as opposed to abstract, you can still try lots of different things.
These are just my personal opinions from a few years of artistic photography experience, and I'm sure lots of people disagree with me, but I figured maybe you'd get at least a little something useful out of what I noticed  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickled_peppers
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010 11:27:50 AM »

Wow, I love these! Shocked Especially the second one. I'm a sucker for bright colors Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps Cheesy

My Etsy ... www.nutsaboutcrochet13.etsy.com

Follow me on Tumblr for all of my crochet projects!
http://whenidreamidreaminyarn.tumblr.com
starbelly3
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010 12:52:31 PM »

Your photos are lovely. They are. But honestly. If I were thinking of purchasing these for my wall to look at on a daily basis, I would pass. They don't hold the interest. You have something going here though with your choice in colors and I love that last flower.  Personally I am always drawn to things shot from different angles. I like to get down on the ground and shoot upwards, for example. Also I like to let lighting challenge my eye. You can really use lighting and angle to your advantage. You can take a beautiful delicate flower and make it look majestic just by photographing it from below. I hope that I have not upset you. I am in no way a professional.  As I said, your photos are lovely.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the sun she warmed her wings and listened to cicadas sing.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress
Craft Challenge #117 Announced – Gingerbread House Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...