A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,369
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sofa And Loveseat Slipcovers  (Read 1649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010 08:38:35 AM »

I bought this 9ft.4 inch sofa and matching loveseat for $80.00 at a thrift store. The old fabric was beautiful cotton/satin, but it had seen it's better days.
Living in the high desert, with dogs in the house; I chose this distressed olive green cotton duck. I had the fabric shipped, because this tiny town had no such resources.
  I used an old sheet to get the main pattern lines, and then cut the fabric.
The couch had such beautiful lines, I did not want them lost under a sloppy cover. So, I fitted it to LOOK stapled on. The way I achieved that, was to put a zipper in the center back.
  This was a lot of work, but the whole project cost me only $125.00 in fabric. I have since moved out of that house, so I don't have this set anymore.
I donated it back to the same store I bought it from, with "New" covers!
Here are before and after shots"
AFTER: There are actually SEVERAL LARGE projects in this one shot. Can you spot them? I'll list them at the end!

Original:Undecorated living room

The projects in these photos are:
1)slipcovers, sofa and loveseat (Sorry, no pics of zipper in back)
2)teak chairs repaired and refinished, with new foam and cushions
3)sheer curtains and valances
4)custom-made rug. It's a piece of carpet hand bound with upholstery fabric.
5)set of 4 art prints, matted and framed. The matts were recycled with velvet fabric. I installed these with no gaps above the sofa.
Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010 10:26:43 AM »

If you had not said they were slipcovers, I would have thought you had them done professionally!! wow...

I also think using a sheet for fit is a good tip...

The teak chair is similar to the project I did about 10 years ago--just making the cushions and refinishing the wood...

Thanks for posting and making the projects I talked with you about "do-able"--I think! Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010 10:27:20 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010 12:07:34 PM »

Thanks, Always! Let me not kid you, this was no easy deal. There was nobody to hold anything in place. I had to pin the sheet to the sofa. But the arm pattern was the same for both, only the back curve had to be adjusted for the smaller seat.
  As for the 2 teak chairs, here's the story: A former employer gave me these in San Francisco, in 1994. I moved around a couple times, and they ended up at my brother's house. he decided to leave them outside for 2 years! When I finally got them back, they were bleached grey, and the joints had come apart. They looked like firewood! But, I lovingly rebuilt them, and the wood glowed with new varnish. The fabric on them is too wonderful for words. It was a velvet striped brocade, with very finely woven satin detailing. Extremely expensive looking. And bought from Walmart's remnant table for $4.00 per yard. There was JUST enough fabric. That fabric inspired all the other choices in that room.
Finally, let me say, the dogs got the large couch, with a sheet on it.
I liked the small one, "cause I could put my feet up lying down.
I really loved that room. This was only a portion of it. There were 2 more walls, and each area had it's own merit.
Thanks for your comments!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010 12:09:19 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010 12:41:31 PM »

I know I wrestled with just trying to squeeze the foam cushion into the chair cover even though I put in a full zipper that wrapped half way around the cushion...I am hoping that the small project I have to do does not turn into a nightmare!  I will be looking at it in a few weeks, but definitely a 2011 project! 

Thanks again for your honesty in saying that it was not an easy project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010 01:08:54 AM »

I'm making slipcovers too, but I'm so over it already and haven't even started!  Luckily my couches are that micro suede stuff (only covering them because they are slowing starting to get stained and I can't handle looking at it) and they are fluffy, so my covers will be pretty easy...because let me tell you, I do not have the patience to do anything half as complicated as what you've done here KL!  It looks so professional, and the zipper in the back is a great idea.  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010 10:15:59 AM »

Thanks, Bethie! Let me tell you, I really got sick of this project, because the large couch was so big, the cover was heavy! There was 25 yards of fabric between the 2 of them. (minus a LITTLE leftover)
But, when it was done , it was SOOO Worth it!
Hang in there! You will be glad when you are finished!
My next project is sitting out on the patio waiting for new foam and fabric. I'll put up a new post soon. It's a metal framed slouchy chair and ottoman. This will be an EASY project, in comparison.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Fake Eyelashes
Does This Eyelash Curler Work For Almond-Shaped Eyes?
Beauty Test Lab: Nail Painting Will Never Be the Same
How to Create the Perfect Rose-Bronze Makeup for Summer
Are These Single-Use Polish Pods as Convenient as They Say?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...