A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: using the scraps for charity.  (Read 1514 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2010 06:54:58 AM »

A friend asked if i could make her a quilt for her office's silent auction.  They were raising cash for their relay for life team. Since I have been burned by low low low auction prices before on quilts i spent a ton of time and material on this time it was all scraps from stash. The new owner of this quilt got a steal. But i get a the tax receipt. Wink

i think my favourite part of this quilt is that there is a second top ready for the next "hey can you?" favour that pops up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010 07:12:34 AM »

boy--do I understand how you feel!!  It is amazing how little people know of the time and cost of making a quilt! They are generally a labor of love and meant for family and dear friends!

But, it is hard to turn down a charity request!   Grin

I like your idea of making a simple, stash/scrap quilt!  Yours is lovely and looks much more complicated to the "untrained" eye of the usual public! Wink

well done--charitable and smart and prepared for the next one...ha ha--very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010 07:43:45 AM »

Dunno whether it is simple or complicated. But I think it's nice, and the best is its meaning. I like your work very much ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
amalgam

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010 11:07:05 AM »

Although it is always good to craft for charity, I'm glad you took the time to make sure that your efforts would help you out as well. It's a beautiful quilt. How big is it? Do you know how much it sold for yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010 11:12:39 AM »

it is about 1m x 1.5m (aprrox 40X60 inches?) a nice lap size sofa quilt... and the person who "won" it, like i said got it for a steal. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010 11:16:55 AM »

It is beautiful, and I love how you have the other half that can be used for another quilt. I'm so glad you made this for charity!

I went to a breast cancer awareness quilt auction this past fall, and got a couple of lap quilts for my gramma and aunts, and I was sitting with my very uncrafty friends who were just shocked at how much I was spending on the lapquilts. Which, I will tell you was not very much at all, but they were like "you know you can get that at Walmart for 10 dollars?" People just don't get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010 05:53:53 PM »

Hmm. Looks familiar.   Cheesy Cheesy  Good for you for doing charity work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just Plain Goose
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010 08:11:50 AM »

agreed - it's impossible to really know how much a quilt should be worth until you make one yourself.  I thought people really over-valued quilts when trying to sell them, but now that I've made one (well, several), I realize that most people actually UNDER-value them!

I look forward to someday getting to do stuff like this, but I have always been wary of the fact that nobody wants to pay what a quilt is really worth - I think your idea of just using up scraps is pretty much genius.  The quilt is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darediva
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010 03:11:35 AM »

Good for you for donating to a good cause.  Seems like if it is legal in your place of residence to raffle the quilt off, the charity stands to make a lot more money on it.  I know that isn't possible in a lot of places, but if you let the QUILTERS know you're raffling a quilt, they'll all usually buy at least a couple of chances on it, because they know what went in.  That way, you don't get all the "I can get it at the big box store for $10" mentality that comes with non-crafters at auctions.  Plus, you can put a little more effort into it if you feel it will bring more on raffle.

We did a benefit quilt for someone at work once where we sold signatures on the blocks for a dollar each.  It was 6" blocks done in the "Indian Hatchet" style, which were quickly pieced by a team, pressed by another, then joined in strips by another.  We put it in a frame and had people come in at break and tie it.  Huge joint project, but raised a nice bit of change for our co-worker.

Thank you for doing this charity quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gopher Baroque!

Alice
petunya
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010 08:09:22 AM »

What a nice simple pattern for using scraps. Lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is my therapy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author David Bianculli Discusses Dangerously Funny
Rachel Hore Explains the Story of a Place of Secrets
Elena Gorokhova Discusses a Mountain of Crumbs
The Seven Rays Book Trailer
The Lorenzo von Matterhorn from the Playbook
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...