A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The 2 1/2 foot poppet that $100 made- Updated with results... April 29th/2010  (Read 3955 times)
Tags for this thread: poppet , doll , hockey , sports  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2010 06:30:47 AM »

So I was told that tomorrow (April 30th) the winner of the craft contest that I made this poppet for would be announced, but as I am impatient, I have been clicking on the link for a couple of days to see if there was any results, and today when I clicked, I did find that the winner was announced... Sadly, I did not win  Undecided It is a bit of a bummer, but the winning project is pretty cool, you can see it here: http://www.atv.ca/london/promo/ThatsCrafty/index.html

Thanks everyone for your support (and votes)- I really appreciated it! Smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About a month and a half ago my parents and me were watching our local news channel when the station announced that they were hosting a craft contest. They asked viewers to submit an idea of a craft that they would like to make using $100 worth of craft supplies from a local craft store. From all of the submissions they would then choose 5 finalists who would receive the $100 and would have a week and a half to make their submission. Voting would then occur as to who the news viewers thought had made the best craft and the winner would win A $1000 GIFT CARD TO THE CRAFT STORE!!!

At the time I was in a poppet kick, so I submitted my idea of making a gigantic poppet. A few weeks went by and I forgot about the contest, but then! I received an email that I had been chosen that I was a finalist and I was to make a poppet, however, as mentioned, I would only have a week and a half... EEK! I actually almost declined being a participant in the contest mainly because school is wrapping up now and I have had to write a gazillion essays and exams to study for. BUT... Then I thought, "Am I crazy? A thousand dollars would fuel my craft addiction for like what- two months Wink ?".

So I then set out in making the poppet. Because the news viewers are the voters, I wanted to make something that would really appeal to them, I was thinking of current relevant topics that people would relate to- like "Avatar" or "Alice in Wonderland" Wink. Then my mom suggested our local OHL (Ontario Hockey League) Team, the London Knights. The Knights are pretty kick ass and they have taken home gold for a number of years. I thought that this was a great idea, as their supporters are pretty crazy, and it helped that they were in the play-offs at the time (however, they were kicked out yesterday). When I make something I typically don't feel attached to it or am not super proud of it, however I am pretty proud of her and super attached to her. Unfortunately while I was making her, my grandmother unexpectedly passed away. She was one of those crazy 80 year olds who would constantly be running around here and there, super active who everyone thought would kick around forever. My Grammie was a major London Knights fan, and a few nights before she passed away she was at one of the Knights play-off games. The day of her funeral the Knights won and it was really nice because everyone said that they won for her. So I think that that helps with the attachment thing... Smiley

If anyone wants to vote for my submission (pretty, pretty please! Wink ), you can vote here: http://www.atv.ca/london/promo/ThatsCrafty/index.html (unfortunately in the picture her hair is a tad messy  Undecided)...

Anyways, one to the poppet...

I wanted to make her gigantic, so I made her two and a half feet tall... She is HUGE! Honestly... She is made out of 2 metres of velour and 210 yards of yarn for her hair. You would think that $100 gift card would equate to lots of poppet supplies, but alas, I actually left 1/4 of the cart behind because I could in no way go over $100. I based her outfit off of this jersey: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=uggmaopgfg8gh7eh6ehr23svd. The Knights have 5 different jerseys, but I thought that this one would match her skin tone the nicest.

Here she is in all of her glory:

Side view. I really love the yarn I used, it had tons of great streaks in in and it is super soft. I individually sewed on each piece of hair. I think that the yarn is by Red Heart:

I handpainted her eyes. I was really shocked to find some in Canada:

I am really happy with how her jersey logo turned out. I hand painted it on a piece of canvas like material:

Here she is holding a pom-pom. They are removable and attach with velcro:

With a measuring stick (and without her pom-poms):

And here she is with one of my regular 16 inch tall poppets. As you can see one regular poppet is about the same height of one of her legs:

And here is a silly picture of me holding her (don't mind my pjs, I was working on her before school one day Tongue ). Holding her is like carrying a small child.

Thanks for looking (and maybe voting Wink )...
C/C welcome!
Cheesy

PS. Here is the link to the poppet along: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010 03:53:00 PM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010 06:48:53 AM »

Wow, wow and wow. Love this averyg, but your poppets are always amazine. Going to vote now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Katebug
A creative mess is better than tidy idleness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010 06:50:21 AM »

Shocked omg...sooooo beautiful! Amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. <3 my boys and girls club!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010 07:35:52 AM »

She's lovely! I really like her outfit. I can tell you worked very hard on her! She's so pretty. I also love the yarn you choose for hair. You find some of the best yarn for hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bobbiemay

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010 08:02:53 AM »

Voted! That's one awesome poppet Cheesy Also hit the rock button on this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKooKuM
Miss Sews-a-lot

Dance kitty

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010 09:39:56 AM »

She is darling. I do hope you name her after your grandma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps. Send a pm if you'd like to do a Harry Potter, Pokemon, BJD or Obitsu swaps.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kitsunestudios
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010 10:15:35 AM »

She is darling. I do hope you name her after your grandma

Thanks everyone!
And would you know, I never thought of that?
That is a really great idea- thanks a bunch!
Does she look like a Millie to you?
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010 10:30:35 AM »

Wow, that is a huge poppet.  I have wanted to make a poppet, never have though, as they look difficult.  But anyways, I voted for your poppet because shes so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
PinkChick
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010 10:44:10 AM »

Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Every Moment, Laugh Every Day, Love Beyond Words!
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010 11:51:49 AM »

Wow, that is a huge poppet.  I have wanted to make a poppet, never have though, as they look difficult.  But anyways, I voted for your poppet because shes so cute!

They look really intimidating and super hard to make a first, but in all honestly they aren't. It just takes a bit of patience to get them going. I personally find that the sewing of the body can take about half an hour (to an hour), and then after that, you don't have to sew anything except for the clothes. I would really recommend giving one a go Wink

And thanks for voting!
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Dioxys
How to Draw Little Rabbit Girl
How to Draw a Cute Anime Girl
How to Draw Baby Buu
How to Draw Asuna
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...