A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy egg drop soup - only 4 ingredients needed!  (Read 5973 times)
Tags for this thread: soup , egg  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardyjenni
« on: April 12, 2010 04:32:09 PM »

I love simple foods.  For some odd reason, they bring me joy. 

Egg drop soup is one of those simple foods.  To make basic egg drop soup, you only need 4 ingredients (chicken broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, egg).  It's so easy. 

Admittedly, I have made mistakes before when making this.  Once, when I was younger, I added too much cornstarch and made egg drop gravy instead.  And we had company that night for dinner!  They graciously spooned the gravy into their mouths, but I could tell by the look on their faces that they didn't like the thickness!  Oops!

But after that, my mother, who is 1/2 Asian, taught me how to use less cornstarch.  She also taught me to fully incorporate it so I didn't end up with lumps of cornstarch in the soup.

But even with it being so easy, until Saturday night, I hadn't made it for about 6 months.  But Saturday night I wanted something salty to go with our pasta dinner (we were carbo-loading for a 1/2 marathon on Sunday).  Since I was making Thai peanut pasta, egg drop soup seemed like the perfect salty complement to the slightly sweet spice of the pasta sauce.  It was so easy and delicious--I forgot how pleasant a nice warm bowl of egg drop soup can be!

The recipe is posted at my webpage:  http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-24872-St-Louis-Budget-Meals-Examiner~y2010m4d12-Soup--Easy-egg-drop-soup

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010 04:41:36 PM »

omg! that makes me so hungry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zuzu123
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010 05:05:03 PM »

Looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maidofspades
Bumblebeetuna.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010 07:00:56 PM »

So easy and looks delicious! On my way to my kitchen...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010 09:57:01 PM »

I've never put soy sauce or cornstarch in mine.  I cook the broth and then add the egg and put the green onion on the top.  Good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010 08:37:03 AM »

That looks good. Egg drop soup is comforting. What type of Asian is your mother? That's like saying someone is 1/2 European. haha Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
hardyjenni
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010 02:04:48 PM »

Thanks, all!

Avian Flight:  Smiley  She's 1/2 Japanese.  Egg drop soup is more traditionally Chinese, but like a lot of Chinese foods, there is a Japanese way of making it.  Usually, in Japanes versions you don't beat the egg.  You just drop it in. 

LordVader:  We are soy sauce addicts in our house!  We put it in/on almost everything!  We even caught my niece licking extra soy sauce off her plate one night (she's 4).   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010 06:51:13 PM »

Thanks, all!

Avian Flight:  Smiley  She's 1/2 Japanese.  Egg drop soup is more traditionally Chinese, but like a lot of Chinese foods, there is a Japanese way of making it.  Usually, in Japanes versions you don't beat the egg.  You just drop it in. 

LordVader:  We are soy sauce addicts in our house!  We put it in/on almost everything!  We even caught my niece licking extra soy sauce off her plate one night (she's 4).   Grin
LOL!  Aww!  I have a few Chinese recipes on my blog that your family might enjoy.  There's one for chicken and broccoli, fried rice, and those sugar biscuits.  I don't remember if I put the egg drop soup in there.  But you already have that down! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

hardyjenni
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010 11:02:35 AM »

Lordvader:  Love your blog!  It's been bookmarked and the link sent to my sister and folks.  My husband would like the chili mac!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010 07:17:31 PM »

Lordvader:  Love your blog!  It's been bookmarked and the link sent to my sister and folks.  My husband would like the chili mac!

Thanks! Smiley  Hope y'all enjoy the recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: Apex On Being Saved By Street Art
Lost Vincent Van Gogh Painting Discovered In Safe Deposit Box
Art of VIBE: Street Artist Ders Adds Color To Shoreditch
Art of VIBE: Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada Scales Down For London Wall
What You Need to Know About Brene Browns Groundbreaking E-Course
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...