A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first quilt (and a tshirt quilt!)  (Read 919 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

philospud
« on: April 11, 2010 04:48:26 PM »

Hey there ladies!  I am new to quilting, saw a tshirt quilt tutorial or two around here and thought "hey I should do that!"  That was four years ago, when I cut up a bunch of shirts and didn't know what I was doing.  Two house moves later, I finally found everything and finished the darn thing!  It was a labor of love.  When I cut up my shirts, I wasn't thinking (or reading) and didn't put any interfacing on them.  My squares came out wonky and I got frustrated and stopped for a year.  

Took a trip to the fabric store with the gentleman, and he picked out this flannel skully tie-dyed fabric that works wonderfully!  Had some suggestions from some of my crafty friends on batting and finishing, and now I'm done!  I did the mitered corners for the binding an while it is wonky in some places, I love it.  Some of the squares might be crooked/different sizes, but I think I did pretty good for quilting for the first time EVER.  

It's queen sized and very comfy.  18x18 squares with 2" borders all around. Each corner of the square on the front has been tied with blue embroidery thread.  I was going to do the entire back the same way, but I decided to save a bunch of shirts for another project I'll hopefully work on soon.  

Hope you ladies like it!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 04:49:34 PM by philospud » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 09:13:19 PM »

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt! And it is awesome, by the way! Love the blue skull fabric that was picked out to go along with everything! And all the "wonkiness" you described just adds your own character to the piece which makes it completely yours! I never want to make a perfect quilt... ^_~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010 07:50:42 PM »

Awesome!  I love how you did the back - that is a great idea.  And t-shirt quilts are the greatest anyway.  Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labors Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Finished Pieces from the Kiln
How to Throw a Small Bowl on the Wheel
How to Infuse Glass and Clay
How to Throw a Large Bowl - pt 2- Trimming
How to make a Large Wheel Thrown Vessel with Two Clay Bodies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...