A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: makeup remover recipe?  (Read 1045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MagicalGirl
« on: April 11, 2010 02:52:46 PM »

Hi Craftsterers and Craftstererettes,
Does anyone have a recipe for a (hopefully non-eye-stinging) makeup remover they wouldn't mind sharing? Store-bought makeup remover is so expensive and soap takes forever, especially since I use a waterproof mascara, so I use dish detergent right now, which works slightly better. Detergent is also supposed to be bad for the environment; does anyone know if this is true or why?
Thanks, helpful cyberspace fairies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 06:05:24 PM »

I'm sure there are going to be naysayers, but stuff about dish detergent being back for the environment is malarkey. Just sayin'. BUT it's probably not a great product to apply to your eye area.

But most commercial makeup removers you purchase are merely a combination of water and oil, most often mineral oil. My two favorite ways to take off waterproof mascara are a 2:1 ratio of water to jojoba oil, or mineral oil. Put them in a bottle of some type and shake thoroughly before applying to one of those cotton pad things.

Also, unscented babywipes are cheap and work great. True story. I keep telling DH that even once we potty-train DD, I'm still buyin' wipes for that purpose, lol. Grin

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 06:05:58 PM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MagicalGirl
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 06:14:58 PM »

Thanks! Homemade babywipes would probably work too, right? My mother always made them with water, baby shampoo and baby oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010 06:21:46 PM »

Yes indeed! My friend swears by using water, J&J's baby wash and mineral oil on her mascara. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MagicalGirl
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010 09:20:30 AM »

I tried just baby oil (it smelled better than mineral oil) with water last night and it worked like a dream! Also, the skin around my eyes is really soft now. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 10:23:48 AM »

Hey,

Just using straight oil (veggie oil, baby oil, whatever you've decided on) will work to remove eye makeup quite well. If you are going to mix it with water, though, you should either mix up just enough each time, or store it in the refrigerator. Oil mixed with water is a perfect home for bacteria, and you certainly don't want to get those in your eyes.

Whether or not detergent is bad for the environment really depends on what kind of detergent you have. Many/most detergents are derived from petroleum products and aren't biodegradeable. Many also include builders (substances added to increase cleansing power) which tend to be even worse for the environment than the detergents themselves. For example, phosphates are builders that cause algae blooms when released into the waterways. These were used so widely and caused so much of an ecological problem that the EPA banned their use in laundry detergent. Detergent in general is an industrially produced synthetic product, and most detergents contain additional synthetic products like builders, preservatives, colors, fragrances, antibiotics, and so forth that may be toxic to wildlife and may not be filtered out in waste-water treatment processes.

That said, there are also many companies today selling plant-based biodegradeable detergents with fewer additives and a far lesser environmental impact. Ecover, for example, or Seventh Generation.

Like most environmental issues, it's complicated and highly debated. So go ahead and do some research on it, and decide for yourself whether you think it's malarky or not! Just googling "environmental impact of detergents" brings up a ton of results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010 08:18:00 AM »

baby oil works great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010 08:55:18 PM »

Hey guys, let's keep it crafty and not get into the whole environmental stuff, kay? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
robinhoods123
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010 03:55:24 AM »

Well, Olive oil works as a makeup remover. But only as a makeup remover. Just because something takes off your makeup doesn't mean your face is clean, you still need to wash it off with some soap or a facial cleanser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindylu
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010 07:42:45 PM »

One of the best cleansers is a mixture of 3 parts Olive Oil & 1 part Castor oil - heat your face up with a hot face cloth, leave the oil mixture on for about 45 minutes and soak it off using a hot face cloth.  You can also use Jojoba Oil or grapeseed Oil.  This will also take your mascara off.

You need to remember that you don't want to strip your face when cleansing it so if you do use soap, make sure it's a good soap without detergent or any other stripping agents in it.  The more you strip the oil off your face the more oil you produce which can also lead to sebum infections/whiteheads.  So treat your facial skin gently.  If you want you can add some Lavender EO, Sandalwood EO, Rose EO as well as Tea Tree Oil to this mixture as those Essential Oils are all skin loving.  

HTH

ETA - don't use high concentrations of essential oils without an aromatherapist consult plus if you're pregnant the only EO in this list that is safe to use AFTER the 1st trimester is Lavender.  Essential Oils bypass the placental barrier and are not good for your unborn baby...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010 07:44:34 PM by Lindylu - Reason: Needed to add additional info » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sneak Peek: Birchbox April 2013
Beauty Tips: The Benefits Of Avocados
How To Use Hairspray Properly
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Beauty Tips
Must Try Manicure: White Nails
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...