A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DSLR Camera Bag  (Read 6752 times)
Tags for this thread: camera_case  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wolffepsyche
« on: April 11, 2010 11:50:15 AM »

After scouring ebay for a nice camera bag for my new (to me) DSLR I decided I could make one cheaper and - even better - with custom fabric. I finally finished it last night around midnight. Well, mostly. I'm going to embroider some top stitching around the top of the bag to try and clean it up a bit but other than that it's done. This one is definitely a prototype. I have to figure out a better way of doing the inside. It turned out okay, and is certainly functional, but it's not very pretty. Doing the topstitching to attach the lining to the outside of the bag was almost impossible with the padding in place. I'm going to have to think on that problem some more and see if I can come up with a better way of doing it. In any case, I'm still very pleased with the bag.

Front

Back. One big pocket for wallet, cell phone, keys, etc.

Front inside the flap. There are 6 pockets for lens caps, filters, CF cards, etc.

Inside loaded with my gear (2 lenses, flash, battery charger, camera body w/lens).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Andromache

Obsessed with crafts and never satisfied

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 04:24:11 PM »

Your bag is awesome! great work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenniePsycho
So many ideas, so little time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 05:23:19 PM »

Brilliant!! Fantastic work Smiley
I think the inside of the bag looks fine, are the dividers movable or did you sew them in place?

I have been looking at the Epiphanie camera bags (and drooling) but never thought of making my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wolffepsyche
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010 05:53:01 PM »

The dividers are sewn in. The lining ended up being a bit big, so it doesn't sit nicely inside and has bunching. It would have been easier in some ways to make moveable dividers with velcro, but that presented it's own set of challenges. If I make another one I might do it that way though.

Thanks for the lovely comments! It was a bear to make, but I really like it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010 04:20:28 AM »

Awesome!!  You did an incredible job on that bag! Sweet!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
fluffybutt
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010 06:23:55 PM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glambastard
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010 08:14:19 AM »

great job, I like the print you used Smiley
*this rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
sin esperanza
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010 06:51:19 PM »

I really like the bag.  And the lining fabric is so pretty!

Would you consider making a tutorial?  I've just got a DSLR and like you don't want to buy a bag but yours looks much better than what I was thinking of making!

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
wolffepsyche
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010 07:21:36 AM »

I really like the bag.  And the lining fabric is so pretty!

Would you consider making a tutorial?  I've just got a DSLR and like you don't want to buy a bag but yours looks much better than what I was thinking of making!

x

I probably won't make another one anytime soon and just text might be hard. The basics are that I used the zippered messenger bag tutorial from the giant list of tutorials. Then I adjusted the dimensions based on the size of my camera and lenses. I used a closed cell foam pad for the padding (a generic "camping pad" from Walmart). I hope that helps a little. If I ever make another one I'll be sure to take pictures and notes as I go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FriendsFineJewelry
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010 05:31:29 PM »

Such a great bag! I've got a collection of DSLR bags but this one looks like the perfect combination of all mine! Mine with a flap doesn't have a zipper closure so I worry that things will fall out, my bag with the zipper doesn't have a flap covering the zipper so it doesn't look professional - this one solves both my issues! You did an awesome job with the sewing, especially as thick as it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 4
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
How to Use the New Features in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...