A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving Away Party for a 13-yearold  (Read 3046 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shadowpie17
« on: May 05, 2005 05:35:35 PM »

A great friend is moving away and we wanted to throw a surprise party for her.  Does anyone have any ideas?  FYI-she is only 13 years old!    Kiss  All ideas appreciated.  Thanks.  Some things I need help with:

What to give her
Activities for the party
How many people should I invite
What kind of theme should we have, if any
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love Shady-pie! (my adorable puppy!)
ohsweetie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005 05:41:06 PM »

Hello lovely!
Where is she moving? Is she happy about moving? If she is, it might be fun to have a party that is themed around the place she is moving to... ie. if she's moving to a different country, or to the back woods. But, if she's unhappy about moving, then perhaps throw a theme party? with a lot of work, or the appearance of a lot of work. she'll appreciate it a lot.  as for a present, maybe something that represents some time you spent together or something you liked doing together. or a guide book to living in her new city, or a really good book, or stationary, or, if its cold where she's going something to warm her up, or if its hot, something to cool her down. that sort of thing. and, its supposed to be cheezie. these life events are cheezie. there's nothing we can do about it.
xoxo. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

in the words of richard brautigan,
"i'll love you and be your catfish friend!"

oooh, i do personal swaps too!

http://d-funk.blogspot.com
Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005 05:51:15 PM »

A good gift for someone moving away is a cute address book filled out with everyone's email and home address. It's easier to keep in touch when you know where to find what you're looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005 06:28:42 PM »

What a sweet idea, I'm sure she'll be really touched. How many people to invite probably depends on where you're going to have the party. Just FYI, I had a surprise party thrown for me way back in the dark ages when I was a teenager, and the party thrower chose not to invite some people I was close to b/c she didn't like them. Thinking of who your friend would really like to be there should help narrow down how many and who to invite Smiley

I second ohsweetie and sweettart's ideas for gifts, especially stationery. If she's into the internet, you could pay for her to have a subscription to a cool blog, or have an tech savvy friend design a cool free one for her. They're a great way to keep in touch long distance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005 06:35:50 PM »

Two words: Invite people she likes.  Okay, more than two words, but you know what I mean.  You could make her an -in a box theme, but put it in a bee-you-ti-ful backpack, if she has to travel.  I would suggest:
-A gift certificate to your local bookstore so she can get some good reads for the trip and th "I've just moved in" phase
-A blog if she can get on the internet
-A stationary set with all the works, cute cards, stamps, a great pen, personalized paper, envelopes, stickers
-An address book with all her friends, you could even add some stuff like "Orlando Bloom (or whoever she likes who's a celebrity), 18 Hottie Rd, LA, CA 14509"  You know.
-The afor-mentioned bee-you-ti-ful backpack.  Knit it, sew it, crochet it, buy it even.  Just make it bee-you-ti-ful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
FarAboveRubies

Proverbs 31:10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005 06:07:36 AM »

*I second the ADDRESS BOOK - and have everyone fill in their snail mail address, email address, cell phone #'s etc.

*Also make DIY address labels with friend's & family's addresses or have each person bring a sheet of labels with their own address on it.  Make return address label with her address on it.

*Each person could bring a stationary set so she has plenty of nice things when she is writing to her friends back home.

*Don't forget to buy her stamps! (hey they add up you know)

*make a memory book and have everyone sign it with their favorite memory of her

*As PARTY FAVORS give out seed packs of "Forget-me-nots" stick a label on the packs with HER new address so that people will have it.

*make the theme of the party about the place that she is moving to, the STATE or maybe a stereotype of the area (Western, southern, Beach, etc)

sweet idea, i'm sure she'll appreciate it.

**oh yeah, I forgot - have all the guest bring an empty box or some other kind of moving supplies for her (tape, bubble wrap, labels, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005 06:09:51 AM by FarAboveRubies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies...
she seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.'

visit my knitblog: www.faraboverubies31.blogspot.com
Ezri_B
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005 01:20:28 PM »

I totally agree with all the above suggestions.

The address book is really a must. I would also be sure to include in it people that she may miss that you may not want to invite to the party, such as; favorite teachers, dance instructors, coaches, youth ministers, etc... any one that she will probably miss (even if they aren't necessarily considered "friends.")

If she doesn't have internet access, you could see if she has an internet cafe or something where she is moving to and get a gift certificate.

You could get or make a pillow or blanket for her and have everyone sign it, either have them sign it in permanent fabric marker or you could embroider over it. That way if she gets lonely she will have all of you to snuggle up with.

As for theme for the party, I have always been partial to a Hawaiian luau theme. Hula skirts, bright shirts, flower leis. Oriental Trading ( www.oriental.com ) has lots of things, and some of it is reasonable.
Also 80's theme parties are fun. Dress like the 80s, play 80s music, eat pop rocks, drink Tab Cola, Play pin the gold chain on Mr. T. It can also be tons of fun (I've done many bachelorette parties in these themes and they've always been a blast!)

I hope these help a bit. Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonandsun
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005 02:23:14 PM »

I had to reply because I just atteneded and helped to plan a surprise party going away party for a thirteen year old. She loves johnny depp so we had johnny depp movies in the basement, music upstairs, a large amount of people and tons of food. There was a video camera going around constantly were everyone was taping stupid things and good bye messages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aelphaba
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005 02:54:34 PM »

You should also get the address to the place she is moving too and right before she goes have all of you and your frineds secertly mail her cards so that when she gets there she will have mail from all of you wishing her luck.

Sometimes the dollar stores have 30 min. phone cards too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005 08:05:45 PM »

Hey one of my friends is moving too! She is also thirteen! Someone gave me the idea of a "jar of smiles" You just put a little note in for every day of the year that has a fun memory or something you like about her. I am also making a sort of scrap book with all my friends. They are each making a page that includes all their contact info, special memories, and things like fav. color, etc. In the back we are putting a bunch of frienship quotes and poems and stuff. We even have a napolean page! (she loves napolean dynamite) Well hope i helped!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
How To Take A Perfect Selfie
Pixi Blush & Bronzer Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...