A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,428
Currently Running With Scissors:
255 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ocean Sunset Necklace  (Read 440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Salvaged Mutiny - Embroidered Art for the Handmade Generation!

A Crafter At Sea

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2010 09:54:23 AM »

This piece of shell, worn smooth by the power of the ocean, was found in St. Kitts.  I loved its bright colouring and wanted to use materials that harmonised with it.  I also wanted to use the wire wrapping technique that I used on the Oyster Bay Necklace again.

I had two different coppery coloured wires in my bag of supplies so decided to use both.  I wanted to add beads in a similar way to the Oyster Bay Necklace, but didnt want them to be as big a feature in the piece as the pearls in that piece. 

In a happy accident, when I was wire wrapping the links from the coloured wires, I created the first link without an opening.  I didnt want to undo it as it had come out perfectly formed. So I decided to link the coiled pieces with oval jump rings.  I then used fine gauge wire to attach seed beads in iridescent blue to the jump rings pretty!  I used brown coloured hemp for the rest of the necklace to continue the soothing colour scheme.  I like the warmth of this piece, dotted with the piercing blue of the seed beads.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...