A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorito Bag Prom Dress (Plus Picture With The Man Who Said I Couldn't Do It!)  (Read 54968 times)
Tags for this thread: prom , prom_dress , doritos , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010 06:44:32 AM »

UPDATE!
I was on the local news this morning! (They apparently didn't post it on their website, apologies.) But, everyone at school was raving about it and all the teachers Googled the dress and were sent to this page!
So, this is for all the teachers at Reeds Spring High School Smiley
MORE UPDATE!
I was on the local news, and here's the link to the site! (Click on the blue part!)

So, last year my prom dress was "Gothic Lolita" inspired and it looked pretty BA and original...This year I was planning on doing a Pop Tab dress, inspired by the people who did it on this site...However, as prom grew near, I still hadn't started...I remembered seeing a dress made from Skittles bags on here and thought, I can do that!
So the quest began...With me eating as many Doritos as possible, my aunt from Indy and all her friends doing the same and sending me the bags, and all my friends...I got about 60 bags.
The quest continued...I had no idea how to make it work because sewing the bags didn't work (the bags would rip where the needle poked through to sew!)...But, my Mother decided if we put a clear bag over top and a black trash bag on the back and ironed it all together, it would created a sort of fabric and work! Thank god it did! About two weeks later (I'm very lazy) I finally had ironed all the pieces (and I wish I did the bodice pieces last because they look t he worst because I was a n00b), and the pattern cut out.
At school, however, there was a bit of a snaffu, but everything was sorted out and, that weekend, my mother had a two day sewing marathon and the dress was finished!
Now...Onto the pictures and I apologize for this long-winded story.
Comments and Critics are, of course, welcome.
The dress.

My date and I. Whilst at that mall, we walked around and EVERYONE stopped us or asked to take pictures or felt it or just stared, it was quite interesting! I laughed at everyone else in Prom attire there because they wanted that attention and I was just sorta there.

The Back.

Detail and me showing my life-source.

And, my picture with my Principal. And his wife, my Vice-Prinipal and his Wife and our resident "Cop" and his wife all were giving the Principal crap about saying no to begin with Smiley
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010 04:04:38 PM by DuctTapeRockStar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
Hadassah
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 06:55:40 AM »

You look adorable! I like this dress very much. If I had the guts to wear it (I don't usually like to call attention to myself) I would totally try to make something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 06:57:59 AM »

It is really neat!
Cheesy
What I don't understand is why the principal was against you wearing it?
Its not like it is a dress that bares all and leaves nothing to the imagination (as I am sure some girls prolly wore to your prom- they sure seeemed to at mine Wink )...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010 07:04:08 AM »

My principal rejected the IDEA because, he said he's a very narrow-minded person and that he just assumed I would have bags with chips falling out duct taped together...Psh...Its not like I'm making a mockery of the event...Just the styles! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010 07:07:21 AM »

LOVE it.  You did a fantastic job.  I also love that you got the apology from your principal.  This rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
seesaey
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010 07:12:18 AM »

Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010 07:19:39 AM »

Wink  Very cool!!!  An awesome DIY - I'm sure even at Prom your dress got the most atention.  Kudos for not backing off when your small-minded principal said no.  Great job!

~Martha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
sere
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010 07:23:10 AM »

Haha, your principal must have never seen Craftster before. We can make anything work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
SereBerry - personal/craft/food blog.
Etsy
roccstarr75
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010 07:45:13 AM »

LOVE IT!  The only thing i would do differently is to make the BF a matching tie!  THAT would have been awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010 08:12:46 AM »

Awesome idea. So was it your mom who actually sewed this? She must have tons of patience. Great parents you have also to support such a wacky idea, and I mean that in a good way. I wouldn't have dared. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Polymer Clay Rosh Hashana Magnet Part 2/2
Creative Play Date Activities
Make Your Pumpkin "Two Faced" to Cast Images
How to Use Leftovers Wisely
How to Make Unique Handmade Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...