A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: exposed serger stitches help!  (Read 1278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2010 06:56:59 PM »

OK. You have all seen them. I really love them. Exposed serger seams.  I'm talking about when 2 pieces of fabric are sewn together on a serger and it looks just like the 4 thread flatlock stitch, but it's not on the inside. For example, I have a hoodie where the sleeves are sewn into the shoulder but the seam is flat and looks serged from inside and outside.

Like if you could serge into the middle of a piece of fabric if that makes sense? I've searched high and low and have found flatlock instructions. That's not what I'm seeing.

I even tried to serge into a piece of fabric. It doesn't work! trust me. ;0)

Help me figure out how this is done!!!
Thanks! Cheesy

Like these seams? see how they're flat? But they weren't sewn insideout then topstitched. Is it some sort of coverstitch you think? Like inside out coverstitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010 07:12:08 PM »

i think you do that with a cover hem machine not a serger, the cover hem machines are like $500, i want one so bad lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
EasilyAmewsed
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010 02:37:35 AM »

Yep..tis the reverse side of coverstitching. I have a Brother coverstitch machine, which wasn't terribly expensive, but does a great job on knit hems. The only issue with it is it likes a strong light thread like Gutturmans ( sp?) in the needles, although serger thread like Maxilock is fine in the looper. Decorative thread would probably work too..tho I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-2340CV-3-Needle-COVERHEM-STITCH/dp/B001OSWLO0

The Janome machines are very nice too, but I was cheap and went with this one..it does the job. <Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010 02:56:59 AM »

while 349 is cheaper than i've seen, it's still quite expensive considering a usable sewing machine or serger will run you 100-150
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010 09:05:11 PM »

yeah, I had a feeling it was made by a coverstitch machine. I soooo want one now!! at first I really wanted a serger that could do 5 threads and coverstitch, etc. But I've found through my research that it's hard to switch them over from overlocking to coverstitch and a lot of them don't produce as nice as a stitch as a dedicated machine could do.
The next machine I get will probably be a used industrial as I've heard that for the price, you really can't do better.  And I've seen stand alone coverstitch machines out there for quite reasonable prices.

thanks guys!!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010 11:16:08 PM »

Could you take better photographs of the stitches? I don't think it's a coverstitch. I think I know what you mean... I've seen serge-like stitches on clothing that look like they were stitched right on top of the fabric, without cutting or folding. They don't look like flatlock stitches or coverstitches. But I don't think they're made by a serger, but rather a specific industrial machine. You can see the process in this video. It's at the 2:02 mark. The stitch is used to join jeans pockets with the pocket yoke. Is this what you're talking about?

They're not coverstitches because on one side, coverstitches have two parallel straight stitches and on the other side they have the zig zag type of serge stitching.

I posted a thread asking a similar question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
amazing_784
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010 05:48:47 PM »

I have a Singer serger, and I can do that stitch.  The manual that came with my machine has good instructions on how to do it.  Do you still have access to your manual?
You need the 3-thread setting...incase you have a 4-thread setting remove one of the needles.  The stitch width is dictated by which needle you remove.  Loosen the needle tension (a LOT), loosen the upper looper a little bit, and tighten the lower looper (a LOT).  Fold the fabric so the threads are hanging off the seam area by not quite half.  (you also might want to move your cutter too, so you don't make a mistake!) After the seam is sewn, pull the fabric so the seam lays flat and smooth. 
Obviously, test on scraps so you get the hang of it, and so you don't destroy your project!  Disclaimer: this is from my serger's instruction manual, and might have to be adjusted to fit yours.  I tried it on my machine using these instructions and it turned out pretty good.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Street Chic: Shoreditch, London Style
$50 Dollar Makeovers With Rachael Ray
Peplum: Una Tendencia Para Disimular
Anne Hathaway Glitters in Gold Just Days Before the Oscars
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...