A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Emotions - Watercolor & Ink  (Read 1881 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 10, 2010 04:45:42 PM »

Sorry I haven't been around much these last few weeks. The semester is nearing a close so I've been killing myself trying to get my projects done. I have a watercolor that needs to be done by the end of the semester (end of April) but it's VERY complex. In fact, I wonder if I EVER manage to finish it because after 35 hours spent on it I'm not quite 1/6th done (and I haven't hit the REALLY complex area yet!)! I really don't know what I was thinking when I took THAT one on!

So, ALL of my time is being spent on my final watercolor. Unfortunately I also have a major drawing and an oil painting that will take probably another 50 hours to complete on my "to do" list so I see some LONG nights in my future.

This watercolor is from my last big assignment a few weeks ago. We had to portray three people (or a single person) showing the emotions: exsctatic, shocked and suspicious. I decided to use a friend who lives down the street and her two kids. The kids were actually pretty reluctant to make faces for the camera at first, but they eventually gave me some decent images to work from. I then exaggerated all the expressions a little (especially the daughter as she wasn't much interested in the project). 

I tried to arrange everyone so the final image looks like the three are maybe watching a television program and their expressions are the result of something on the screen.

Completed using Maimeri Blu watercolors on 300lb coldpress Arches (18.5" x 25") Arches with Micron pen used to draw over the painting.

I drew the kids three times before I was happy with the results and mom took two tries.  I was a little worried that all my erasing would result in some areas of the watercolor paper not taking color, but it looks like I was lucky with that.  

Thought I don't normally care much for watercolor I'm finding I kind of like this technique because I can get the drawing down the way I want, then refine the shapes using the watercolors and refine one last time with ink......makes for some of my most solid drawings.

As always, comments and criticism are most certainly welcome!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010 04:49:24 PM by UnRuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010 05:05:39 PM »

I've found that water color takes so much more patience. It's a good activity to relax with because you can't rush it. Your painting is really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010 05:31:31 PM »

I wish watercolor were relaxing to me.........it just makes me want to throw things.

THIS style of watercolor however is alright because I'm doing very quick washes and I'm not attempting to get really dark/bright with the colors.  Having to put layer after layer after layer on a normal watercolor however just makes me angry.  It's too bad because I've been having good success with the watercolor I completed a little over a year ago (it's currently in New York for a show).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010 05:43:56 PM »

The drawing is always scary. You may think it's cheating, but my sister in law taught me to blow up the image to the size you want it in black and white, and use a light table, or window to sketch in the main lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010 05:56:35 PM »

The drawing is always scary. You may think it's cheating, but my sister in law taught me to blow up the image to the size you want it in black and white, and use a light table, or window to sketch in the main lines.
 No, not at all.  Although this project was fully hand-drawn,  some of my stuff is projected (it's done usually for speed since our deadlines are pretty short).  Projecting or tracing is no guarantee that something will turn out as many people seem to think.  The big watercolor I'm doing now was projected......though I didn't draw in many of the details and I'm having to redraw things as I go anyway so the ability to draw is still needed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010 05:58:21 PM by UnRuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzoo
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010 06:19:34 PM »

wow you can paint/draw so well! i especially like the mother's expression
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010 07:03:46 PM »

I always love it when I see that you've posted something new - your stuff is amazing!  LOVE the expressions.  I often use the pen over watercolor technique - but your ability to paint people far surpasses mine! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
FoxyBlue
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010 07:09:32 PM »

So totally AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010 07:15:36 PM »

Omigosh I am in awe! That is just amazing very very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010 08:47:54 PM »

I really like your style of painting, you could be a childrens book illustrator!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Meet Author Suzy Welch
Patti Stanger Talks About Become Your Own Matchmaker
Douglas Kennedy Reveals What Readers Think About Him
DaShaun Morris Talks About War of the Blood in My Veins
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...