A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Umm...duh?  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2005 04:15:11 PM »

Ok..this life-line trick that everyone uses to have a place to frog back to....how exactly do you do it?  I've got a few big projects I'm getting ready to start and I want to stay sane-ish while doing them, but I can't seem to comprehend how one gets the life-line into the work.

um, help? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
subloke
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005 05:27:51 PM »

I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it, but what I have done when I needed a lifeline and when I remembered do do it before I NEEDED to do it (ie before I had to rip back) I used waste yarn in a different color (I used a thinner weight yarn too) and threaded it on a tapestry needle.  Then, with the stitches for my project still on my knitting needle I passed the threaded tapestry needle through each stitch without removing them from the knitting needle.  Then I tied the ends of the waste yarn in a knot and continued on with my project, knitting that row (without accidentally picking up the waste yarn).  I wrote down what row I was on when I did the lifeline so that if I did have to rip back (which I did... grr) I knew where I was when I needed to re-start.  When I needed to frog back to the lifeline, I just put the stitches (with the lifeline still in them) back on the needle and started again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
missameeames
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005 05:36:44 PM »

There's a video on how to do this at www.knittinghelp.com.  Go to "Basic Techniques", click on "...and More" and it's the last video under "Fixing mistakes".  hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005 06:12:40 PM »

Thanks. 

Craftster is my life-line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
killerdaisy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005 10:35:12 PM »

i use dental floss - i generally only use a lifeline on complicated lace patterns or things of that nature

try to use unwaxed, unless you dont mind your needle getting a bit tacky. mint is okay, but the smell will stay with your project for a bit ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmorrison_89
Message from Ashley

its got to be

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005 04:44:29 PM »

semi new knitter here. What the heck is a life line???  Huh Roll Eyes

ash
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005 10:43:27 PM »

a life line is a length of small filament (thread, thin yarn, dental floss, etc) that you put through a completed row of stitches in a project so that if you make a mistake at a later point & need to rip back, you don't have to rip back to the very beginning. it's most often used with lace patterns, though some people use them with complicated stitch patterns as well. after placing a lifeline, you want to place another (& either take out the other or leave it if you're super paranoid like me) every X number of rows or after every pattern repeat - that way you never have to rip back too far.

its so nice to have a lifeline - that way when you drop a stitch or forget a yo on row 298 you only have to go back to row 250 instead of row 0...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitsabit06
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006 09:44:11 AM »

wow, i realize these posts are from last year but this sounds like exactly what I need to finish (er, restart AGAIN, and actually complete) knitty's wheelie. thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006 11:00:48 AM »

if you have one of the interchangeable needle sets that tightens up with a key, you can use the little key hole  to carry your lifeline through as you knit; just thread it like a needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006 07:54:27 PM »

That, Kadreath, is brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try The Grass Whopper: Restaurant Offering Bug Filled Burger
How to Make Honey Roasted Peanut Butter
Pancake Lasagna Recipe
KD 101: How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
How to Make Your Own Applesauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...