A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Shirred Garment: No Pattern Needed!  (Read 1540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitsuneKrafter
« on: April 09, 2010 06:51:24 PM »

This was so much fun to make: I just took a rectangle of fabric the width that I wanted the top to ultimately be plus extra for the top and bottom hems. The length was twice the measurement of my girl's chest--which added to a bit less than 44 inches, so I just cut it the width of the fabric and left it at that.

I hemmed the bottom and top of the fabric, and added sparkly purple and white lace trim to the top, and sparkly purple rick rack to the bottom.

Then, I filled a bobbin with elastic thread using the bobbin winder on my Bernina 440 QE--lots of tutes on line suggested winding it by hand, but that bugged the crap out of me, so I used the machine. I tapped the filled bobbin on the table a few times to loosen the elastic up a bit, then loaded it up in my bobbin case like any other bobbin, and popped it in.  Then, I threaded the machine with purple thread so it would show nicely on the green, picked up the elastic thread (on the third try, it was a bit finicky about that), set my stitch length to five, and did a test run on a different chunk of material.

When the world did not end, I went on to do ten rows of shirring on my actual fabric, 1/4" apart. At the end of each row, I left the needle in the fabric, turned 90 degrees, took a couple of stitches, turned 90 degrees again and then stitched on, back and forth.

When the shirring was done, I took out the elastic bobbin and loaded up the machine with a bobbin of regular thread, lest I forget.

Then, I took my shirred rectangle over and with my iron on highest heat and full of lots of steamy goodness, I steamed the crap out of the fabric by holding the iron about an inch above the fabric and repeatedly pushed the steam blast button and watched in delight as the fabric shrank up and gathered into delicious wee puckers. It was the best part--like a magic trick.

Then, I stitched it together into a tube and made spaghetti straps of purple fabric using my Fasturn tubes, sewed them on and added a sparkly purple button to the top as an accent and it was done.

The girl was dancing with impatience to try it on as I hand sewed the straps and button on, and she was thrilled to finally wear it today.

It was so easy, I am off to make a dress this evening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know thyself.
roccstarr75
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010 07:07:05 PM »

So cute!  I bought some shirring elastic awhile back but never did anything with it!  This sounds so easy!  I love that fabric, do you mind telling me where you got it, manufacturer, etc.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitsuneKrafter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010 08:17:07 PM »

The fabric is "Spring Fling" by Me and My Sister Designs for Moda.

I got it half price at the local quilt store, as they were closing it out.

I can't find the green version I have online, but the version with the same colors of flowers on a white background can be gotten here:

http://www.shopriversedge.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=spring_fever_main&productid=22042_17&tracking4=search%2022042_17&pid=1#22042_17

You might try eBay--I had no luck looking on Etsy.

But really, the shirring part was simple. I think the worst part was trying to hand wind the bobbin! Drove me nuts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know thyself.
amarchan
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010 06:40:43 AM »

Awesome job! Thanks for describing the iron part. I have bought the elastic thread and with your hints and tips I am motivated to give this a try. Your top and daughter are adorable! Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitsuneKrafter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010 08:26:15 AM »

Thanks!

It was really easy--easy enough that I am wondering why folks do stuff like putting elastic casings in sleeves at the wrist and the upper arm when shirring is so easy.

I haven't finished the dress yet because I got all indecisive about the design and the trims. I finally decided to finish it with a contrasting ruffle and shirred straps to match the ruffle.

I'll post pics when its done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know thyself.
jadekat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010 07:49:52 AM »

I like it! I bought some elastic thread the other day to make my daughter a similar dress. I really need to get started on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MamaVarvarki

Sorry about my english (I'm from Russia)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010 06:32:49 AM »

The fabric looks so nice!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpoet
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010 09:05:50 AM »

I love it! I bought elastic thread to give shirring a try but haven't got around to it. Maybe today is the day?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010 11:05:32 AM »

super cute! And thanks for the description on how you made it, sounds like even I could make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Draw Po
How to Draw Piccolo
How to Draw Philip Fry
How to Draw Peter Pan
How to Draw Pekingse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...