A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: carbonated fruit- a how to  (Read 970 times)
Tags for this thread: fruit , banana  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McAuliflower
« on: May 05, 2005 03:46:52 PM »

I just posted this entry on my recipe blog, http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2005/05/01/carbonated-fruit/ that I thought others might have fun with... carbonating fruit with dry ice.

Carbonating fruit?  The carbonation takes effect once your fruit has thawed after being frozen in dry ice.  It adds a little tingly zip to each bite.

My site goes more into the figuring out process of carbonating stuff.
Here's a recipe how-to guide using bananas:

Chocolate Carbonated Banana

First ready your container of dry ice. (dry ice can be bought at most ice cream stores or University chemistry departments) The dry ice should be stored in a small cooler to slow its evaporation. I used a small styrofoam box with a lid rested on top.

Handling dry ice is something to be approached with caution- it hurts! Use gloves to protect your skin if handling the ice itself. If you are deciding to get all crazy on your ice, go ahead and put on safety googles (ski goggles work too). Getting chips of dry ice in your eyes is yucky!

Be aware that dry ice creates carbon dioxide gas as it ages. This means that pieces of dry ice in a sealed shut container are effectively creating the conditions for a non-flammable bomb. If the build up of gas is great enough- your container will explode or burp. Burping vs exploding depends on your container volume to gas ratio:

* (tiny sealed container + big chunk of dry ice = explosion)

Freaked out yet? If you are, go get a rubber balloon, toss a couple of chips of dry ice in it and tie off the balloon. This will give you a nice visual of what gas building forces you are dealing with. The off gassing of the dry ice will inflate your balloon for you. Cool!

Never, say never, but there are chances of suffocation around dry ice. This would occur if you stuck your head down in your ice chest full of dry ice and decided to hang out and breath in the vapors for awhile. Remember the carbon dioxide that dry ice gives off? This pushes oxygen out of the way in your ice chest- thus creating an oxygen deficient pocket. So, only supervised contact around kids please.

Now, on to the fruit...

Remove the peel from half a banana, length-wise, leaving the remaining peel to act as a dish for the banana. Make slices across the banana fruit to help facilitate easier removal later. Place your half peeled banana on top of your dry ice and lid your container. Allow the banana to freeze completely (5-20 minutes), removing to a dish when solid. Thaw the banana before attempting to eat! You dont want to damage your tongue with your super-frozen banana. Besides the carbonation effect comes forth with thawed, not frozen fruit.

Thawing your banana is a tricky step- if you let it thaw too much, you will get a dark brown peeled puddle of banana goo. I like to wait for it too just become unfrozen by watching the ends of the fruit, which will thaw first. Drizzle chocolate syrup across your fruit and enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013 09:03:36 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
moonshire

if you're going to san francisco...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005 04:03:34 PM »

wow one of my friends in high school was telling me once how he did this with a pear.. he had trouble getting dry ice again though so i never got a chance to try one though.. im pretty sure ive seen dry ice at the supermarket where i live now though.. i think i may just have to try this..

awesome awesome recipe/idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you not like to be?  -DMB
http://seaddlebags.blogspot.com/
McAuliflower
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005 05:05:03 PM »

...grapes work really welll and freeze quick!  They thaw nicer than the bananas too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Chowder
How to Make Deep Fried Beer
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with an Iron
How to Make Beef Jerky
How to Make Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...