A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adiós, mi amiga.  (Read 1364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indigo flower girl
« on: May 05, 2005 03:40:00 PM »

I'm starting to plan for a going-away gift...  Cry

It's for the exchange student of my friends' family who became a close friend of mine this year. She's going home in a little over 5 weeks.

So far, my plan is to make her a big-ish makeup bag and maybe some little zippy bags inside like these I've done before: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17981.0

I want lots of ideas, though, so that I can come up with the best gift combo and have time to make/buy it all.

Some ideas to help you get ideas to give me:
* Butterflies
* Ice Cream
* Chemistry
* I already know (and might use them on something) these phrases in Spanish: "Talk to you later," "What's up," "Ice Cream," "Peaches and cream," "Liar," "Butterfly," "Hole-puncher"

All ideas are welcome and gratefully received.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005 03:49:35 PM by indigo flower girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005 03:47:44 PM »

what's up- ¿qúe pasa?
talk to you later-hasta luego

sry that's the extent of my spanish. i used to know ice cream. but not at the moment
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005 03:48:49 PM »

Thanks... (I should have been more specific... I know those phrases in Spanish already  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beccabags
handmade

it's all about the peace and love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005 07:42:21 PM »

What if you gave her things that you can only buy in the US so she'll remember her stay here like a movie or CD of music she might like, candy that might be not sold in her country, or a shirt with a saying on it in English.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cutelittledot.c om
handmade bags * beaded jewelry * personalized home decor
Melissa_Bumbles

hello my name is melon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005 07:51:46 PM »

can you make something that incorporates both your flag and her flag?  maybe a blanket, purse, or something like that?  and that way you could also use owalkerjillo's idea of the hasta luego thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005 10:37:34 AM »

I like the flags idea along with the English printed t-shirt.

Definitely make marble magnets with phrases in them (b/c c'mon, those are awesome!)

The quilt, something big like that, man, it's always great getting something homemade that's big and can be useful when you're cold or tired!!  The candy idea is great, too.  You could also go to the local Spanish/Mexican food stores and buy candy from her country, then get candy from your country, and somehow tie the two together... or decorate them w/felt to make them like little people and stitch their hands together.  OK I'm getting really corny now--but something that shows friendship plus that'd be just hilarious to have two candy bars holding hands  Cheesy

If you have any photographs of you guys together--you could use a computer software program to burn copies onto a CD that's like a photo album... "online" scrapbooking.  That's if she has a computer back at her home.

Definitely buy a bottle of Jaritos and Diet Pepsi and include them in whatever kit you make Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005 11:12:09 AM »

Hi, I've read your message two times, but i don't get yet what kind of ideas you need from us, I speak Spanish as mother tongue, so if you could be more specific in your request, I'm sure i could be able to help you

But i think the flag idea sounds too Nationalistic, i think she already knows where she is now or where she was, and where is she from, and to make something out of a flag is not very personal as your friendship that goes beyond those borders and i think what you are looking for is to show her your impression of who she is in a way that she could never forget you.

Anyway, you can PM me if you like

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005 05:05:55 PM by Ollin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
daydreamer13579
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005 05:27:39 PM »

What about a scapbook with pictures of the places you two have been together around your town...maybe with space for you to write memories of what happened there. That way she can show her friends/family when she goes home. You can put in pocket's for ticket stubs, or other memory things.You could also put in a mixed Cd of music you both like. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005 06:01:25 PM »

candy that might be not sold in her country, or a shirt with a saying on it in English.
Hmm I like these ideas. 

maybe a blanket
Ooh I hadn't thought of that!.. but I've never made a blanket before.

Definitely make marble magnets with phrases in them
What are those??

You could also go to the local Spanish/Mexican food stores and buy candy from her country (...)
Definitely buy a bottle of Jaritos
I don't have a store like that Sad.  What's Jaritos? I don't think we have that, either.

Hi, I've read your message two times, but i don't get yet what kind of ideas you need from us, I speak Spanish as mother tongue, so if you could be more specific in your request, I'm sure i could be able to help you
Well. Okay. As of now, I don't really need help with Spanish words, though I appreciate the offer (I might later, though, if I decide to put Spanish writing on something.) I will try to be more specific, although I don't really have a specific idea of what I want yet. But what I'm looking for is more of a remember-the-good-times-and-keep-in-touch kinda gift, not an I'll-never-see-you-again-so-remember-me-by-this gift.

What about a scapbook with pictures of the places you two have been together around your town...maybe with space for you to write memories of what happened there. That way she can show her friends/family when she goes home. You can put in pocket's for ticket stubs, or other memory things.
That would be great, except unfortunately she's taken a bunch of pics herself for her family.

THANK YOU ALL for helping me out!  Keep the ideas coming!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005 06:00:04 AM »

Hi again, well reading the ideas you like and what you say that you want her to remember the good times and to keep in touch, well...

What about that you buy those candies she can't find in her own country but then you cover them with new candy wrap made by you with thoughts of things you did together or a bag anyway you like but with instructions included saying that every candy represents special moments you shared together so that every time she picks one she will think on you...

You could also make some nice agenda that includes your address, your email, your birthdate and then you can include plenty of envelopes and a nice paper to write you with a pen like a hint, this paper could have a nice photo of both of you together but as a water mark or something like that

If i come up with something else during the day, I'll come to post it Smiley
You seem to be a great friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FIRST LOOK: Alexander Wang – NYFW Spring 2014
4 Must-Do Trends For Homecoming Dresses
How to Pick the Perfect Booties for Fall
Jennifer Lopez October 2013 Cosmo Cover Shoot
How to Pick a Sexy Back-To-School Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...