A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living 2: Return of the Cheap Gallery  (Read 31050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2010 11:03:43 PM »

Amazing packages everyone, but can I ask what are dryer balls used for  Huh I don't need to use a dryer as we get really good weather and hang our clothes on the line. Maybe I'm way off and they are for cats to play with?? They look like they would be fun to make and could be a good item for me to send in other swaps.

Use them to reduce drying time and static..and replace dryer sheets.  I use tennis balls currently but I'm hoping to get some wool dryer balls soon. 
I'm also hoping to put up a clothes line this summer - it's something I always mean to do and never do, but I love the smell and feel of clothes dried outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2010 01:26:00 AM »

I have to say one thing DHQ I really dislike you right now, when I saw what you have in your china cabinet.......I collect blue willow.....

BUT I love all the stuff you made.

That quilt is fabulous,  love the peg bag

superhooker oh my I love those scrubbie and dishclothes.

yelutci  I love the flower on that bag it looks great.

Zombie_queen you can never go wrong with bath n body products, gotta love 'em I know I do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2010 08:47:26 AM »

Tanza, let me tell you the story of those lovely blue and white dishes, Spode Italian, by the way.  My hubby & I are both military brats.  His mom is British and he was lucky enough to be stationed over there for a while when he was a kid.  Nearly daily, he would have tea with Mr. Miller that lived across the street from them.  Before Mr. Miller passed he gave my MIL the tea set to give to hubby when he was old enough to appreciate it.  She blessed him with this antique tea set 6 or 7 years ago.  The set being a little tea pot and 3 or 4 cups and saucers. 

My dang MIL  Wink goes a little over board with themed gifts.  For every birthday and Christmas gift for each of us since she's given us Spode Italian for each occasion.  My hubby bought the dining room set because he wanted a place to display his growing collection of Spode and the cherry sets it off nicely.  So my blue and white is an accidental collection. 

The wine glasses in there started because my grandma gave me hers 15 or so years ago.  I'd never seen them anywhere before, then spoted 2 different kinds of glasses at garage sales.  Then my MIL saw the pattern and now sends those as well.

To pay her back for the overload of dishes, I told my mom that she collected Fiesta Ware.  My mom hit a restaraunt auction and bought her 100's of plates of varying sizes and gobs of different colors.  My MIL was over the moon and completely overwhelmed with dishes.  Now we've got a bit of a war of the dishes between us, we both enjoy laughing about.  I still think she went WAY overboard when she bought matching placemats, tablerunners and a lamp in that pattern.  She thinks she's won the war.

The kicker is that I've got all of those beautiful dishes and my hubby won't let me use them.  So, of course, I sneak them out at dinner parties  Wink  He gives me grief when we're cleaning up, but never notices during the party.  His mom said I can use them anytime I want, even daily use.  Hubby may be driven to choose the dishes over me if I pushed him that far, though. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
eye_on_sparrow
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2010 09:09:21 AM »

I received my package from JodiLynn85 this morning.  Here's everything together, I got 3 shopping bags which I think are made from vintage pillowcases with ribbon handles.  And a sturdy fabric box to corral my fat quarters in. and a utensil roll for my lunch bag.

Call me weird but my favorite part of this package is the chocolate ribbon she used on the utensil roll.  I wish she had sent me some of the chocolate that ribbon came from.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2010 09:26:19 AM »

I love that utensil roll!  And those pillowcase bags are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2010 11:35:16 AM »

Secrets of a frugal house wife who is a light environmentalist.
use LYSTOREEN to fight Mildew it kills it (kills it other places too)Use the original type but a generic brand is fine.
use peroxide to fight the stains on whites
Use Vinagar for a softener and use a little Listerine with it, it smells better then vinegar.
if you really want to use fabric softener in your towels only use a half of a dryer sheet because the fabric softener reduces the absorbany of the fabrics.
The dryer balls work to shorten dry time and also leave some lanolin to soften clothes. but remember to shorten dry time. Over drying shortens the life of your clothes and also makes them stiff and scratchy. 
Comecal brand soaps. Use tide when ever you can  but if you have a greasy teen Gain is better. Or make them wear an under shirt to protect the top shirts(yah right)
And don't use the HE soap unless you have a HE machien. they won't get your clothes clean.
You can just use washing soda and borax and get most clothes clean.
And for truely bright whites use Bluing agent.
Startching whites and fabric softeners is what helps prevent stains from clinging to the fibers. Which will reduce the need for Bleaches and stain stickes. Pre treeting stains while they are waiting in the hamper will also really help.
A chemist who specilizes in fabrics is a freind of mine and these are the things he taught me.
And always hook you bras shut so they don't snag and never put them in the dryer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2010 11:54:42 AM »

So much fun, everyone!! Superhooker is legendary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2010 12:48:26 PM »

StrawberryH--thanks for that post!  Some of the items I knew about like peroxide...I will have to try the Listerine for mildew and also to mix with the vinegar!

I am guilty of overdrying...I will start using the timer now and checking more often...

love the different frugal ideas and projects...the utensil roll is a good idea...I hate throwing out all of the plastic ones at work...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2010 09:02:52 PM »

Great packages everyone, so excited for all the other photos too  Grin

Why is it that as soon as you see someones swap parcel you immediately wish you had asked for one of those frugal swap items in your questionnaire. It's like food on your husbands plate, it always looks more inviting than what you have on your own  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2010 10:06:02 PM »

i received from dreadlocklove! i'll be showing off the wonderful goodies she sent me this weekend. im feeling so spoiled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aaron Axelrod: The Making of the "Bad Reception" Art Installation
How to Draw Rito Yuuki
Oil Painting For Beginners
Behind The Scenes At Red Bull House Of Art In Detroit
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...