A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pages on ex-BFs and the dissolution of a marriage (mild swear words contained)  (Read 2771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 09, 2010 07:36:41 AM »

I threw down a challenge on the craftalong to post a project on every board, that was to create a scrapbook page using no premade scrapbook elements and on a theme that was different to the usual happy memories type scrapbook pages. I wanted to stay within the scrapbook convention though, but to try and reflect that while someone can be living an ordinary conventional life, inside it can be very different and not always a good different

These are the two that I came up with.
This is 'lovingly' entitled The Bastard files and is an anti-homage to the suckiest guys I have ever gone out with, and lordy there have been some mistakes...these are only the cads, the unfortunate choices dont appear on this page.

I started with a piece of 12X12 board and covered with a map, as I wanted to indicate how lost I was when I was with these guys, picture of a skunk, for obvious reasons, Photos and details of the guys,

poem about a giraffe as they are so good at camouflage, these guys were very good at posing as nice guys. (of course I did choose them and stay with them, but this was my venting page, so i get to be completely innocent in the execution of these)

and then the title of the page from cut out letters from a newspaper, like a ransom note, because I was completely hostage to my feelings of insecurity and neediness, which was why I stayed with them..

The corset represents me constricting myself to fit in to the picture I had of myself being with them..which wasnt me

the second page was a series of, to me, quite shocking photos, they were all taken in the last year or so of my marriage, (not a cad, we just got married too young)
they say the camera never lies, of course it does, often, but not in these shots. the naked pain in my face, the contempt in his as he looked at me (i was holding the camera) was quite shocking once I sat down and really looked at it.

Working on this was very interesting and very revealing. I found a cute little poem in a vintage newspaper that someone sent me, called 'weep no more' Again the background is a map to reflect how lost I was

for the record, all subsequent relationship mistakes have been different. I do learn, just seem to have an awful lot of mistakes to learn!

C&C welcome.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 07:39:13 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyFox
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010 08:27:35 AM »

That's really powerful, EdeIC.  I love the symbolism in the pages and think you did a wonderful job. Way to stretch your comfort zone in scrapping something that wasn't a shiny happy memory. How did you feel about the project when you were doing it? Did you feel any further closure in making it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist http://wists.com/Sly-Fox

Like my crafts? I Would LOVE to do a personal swap! PM me if you're interested!

My Craft Blog: http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/

Swap Stalk Me:
http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/crafty-preferencesgifty-ideas-for-swaps-etc/
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010 08:34:13 AM »

I am glad you did your pages...it must have been somewhat cathartic!

I find it interesting that in this journey through life, how few people will reflect on the bad things that happen, when in fact, these things are often what influence,motivate and form us the most!  We learn so much from our mistakes yet we don't seem to reflect on these experiences very much!

I love that you used a lot of materials and the same sense of composition, color, blah blah as a somewhat "normal" scrapbook...the surprise being the subject matter!

Thanks for sharing a personal look at your scrapbook pages!  ha ha you did manage to inject humor in the bad relationships page: love the skunk!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010 08:52:25 AM »

thanks guys..

alwaysinmyroom, I think most of the papers including the skunk, both poems, maps etc all came from the altered paper supply swap!! so thanks!

Slyfox interesting question, I had as much closure about all of these relationships as anyone ever gets when you have moved onto other things, so doing these pages forced me to rexamine them. i think that doing the pages added another level of understanding about the relationships and they were usefully cathartic..as I don't 'do' much in the way of anger, I am big into forgiveness, but one can forgive and still have a residue of crap related to the issues, so cathartic which probably gives a more complete closure, if that makes any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazee721
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010 11:19:58 AM »

I love the idea of the scrap pages! As a counselor I am always looking for ways for people to build on experiences that may not have always been the happiest but they still learned a lot from! This looks like an amazing way to do that! And its just gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010 08:03:11 PM »

Worth waiting for, Edel! I particularly like the fact that both of these pages are about you, and the effect the "bastards" had on you, rather than being all about them. They were there, and now they're gone, and this is about you now.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010 12:08:34 AM »

thanks wulf! Yup its all about me...lol...I put a lot of journalling into pages and into a lot of what I do, so its always very personal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urbanscrapper
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010 12:12:56 PM »

I love them! I told my friends about this and we all want to make our own "Bastard Files" books together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 03:00:20 PM »

thanks hon..lol...its really theraputic!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knk4ever
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010 11:56:18 AM »

I love this idea. I think this is the first craft I'm going to make after I finish getting my apartent packed up and moving into my mom's house. I'm a sap who has saved every scribbled I love you note and can't seem to throw them away. This seems very cleansing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Flaherty on Sondeim on Sondheim Multimedia Broadway Show
How to Play Eighth Notes on the Violin
How to Play D Major Scale on the Violin
How to Play A String Notes on the Violin
2009 Holiday Baeble Music Indie Music Special
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...