A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a mix of everything, and spinning for beginners tutorial link  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiera-oona
« on: March 18, 2011 05:35:43 AM »

I have a lovely batch of photos of my yarnie projects that I haven't shown here on Craftster yet....which I wanted to share.  At the bottom the link to my tutorial will be available.  Its more for beginners and doesnt go into plying.

This was the first ball of yarn I attempted to spin up myself.  It was done with a wool that was kinda scratchy and not as nice as merino or corridale.  Heck, I dont even know what breed of sheep this stuff came off of.  I bought it while I was working at Tandy Leather as their craft 'mandala wool'

The good thing is, I plied that batch together and wound up with decent results.  I even knitted it up to see what I would get, and my glovelettes turned out pretty good.  I still wear them even today.

I also went on a trek for an event known as the TTC knitalong, and picked up a far more decent batch of fibre.  During that event I picked up....

Merino...

and a merino possum mix

Other than that trip, I also have been saving up all the loose ends from all my knitting projects to make varous balls of what I have dubbed 'everything yarn', cause it practicly has everything in it.  Acrylic, rayon, wool, alpaca, pretty much everything except cotton (cause cotton is really hard to re-card)

I have more photos of lots more yummy yarn, but I have to post it later...but for now I leave you with my tutorial....just follow the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smJeh1q7YJc

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013 09:38:22 AM by rackycoo - Reason: make title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011 09:26:40 AM »

Looks great!  Awesome photos!  I especially like the everything yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiera-oona
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011 09:55:13 AM »

Looks great!  Awesome photos!  I especially like the everything yarn.

everything yarn is the most fun, but also somewhat frustrating in term of carding it up.  Its one of those projects where I wish I had a drum carder
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Angry Hippie
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011 10:41:21 AM »

Cheesy Kiera!

I adore the glovelettes!
The beaded merino/possum is awesome, then natural color against the beads is so perfect.  Whats possum like?  I've been curious for a long time now.

Hey, you should join the fiber fridays! Oh oh oh and there's a spin-along http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374237.50 it's half over but there's still plenty of time to join!

Haha i'm stupid giddy about seeing a familiar face,can you tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiera-oona
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011 11:03:31 AM »

Cheesy Kiera!

I adore the glovelettes!
The beaded merino/possum is awesome, then natural color against the beads is so perfect.  Whats possum like?  I've been curious for a long time now.

Hey, you should join the fiber fridays! Oh oh oh and there's a spin-along http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374237.50 it's half over but there's still plenty of time to join!

Haha i'm stupid giddy about seeing a familiar face,can you tell.

I have been working on more quilts lately (and im starting to run out of roving....need joblike work thats better to get more fiber), I just signed on yesterday...i will take some time geeking (sightseeing and geeking out at the same time)around the site and then Im sure i will join in for fiber fridays or some sort of along a thon.

Its always good to see familliar faces in the community :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011 11:27:21 AM »

Nice to meet you, kiera-oona! I love your everything yarn. I have tried something like that with carding some acrylic scraps from lion brand homespun into some grab bag wool from the Sheep Shed. Yours is way prettier. You've inspired me to try again!  Smiley

How did you make the polymer clay covered spindle in your video? I would love to have a bigger and heavier whorl like that. I want to use it with a hardwood dowel to make a Navajo spindle. I'm finding I tend to like bigger spindles for making heavier low-twist yarns. I'm a new spinner and still trying to figure out want I need.  Smiley I'm also a new weaver, and would like to build a stash of worsted or bulky singles for my looms. The spindle used by Clara Sherman, master Navajo weaver, in this video shows the type of spindle I want in action. It looks both fun and ergonomic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p7OIghMVw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiera-oona
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011 03:04:29 PM »

Nice to meet you, kiera-oona! I love your everything yarn. I have tried something like that with carding some acrylic scraps from lion brand homespun into some grab bag wool from the Sheep Shed. Yours is way prettier. You've inspired me to try again!  Smiley

How did you make the polymer clay covered spindle in your video? I would love to have a bigger and heavier whorl like that. I want to use it with a hardwood dowel to make a Navajo spindle. I'm finding I tend to like bigger spindles for making heavier low-twist yarns. I'm a new spinner and still trying to figure out want I need.  Smiley I'm also a new weaver, and would like to build a stash of worsted or bulky singles for my looms. The spindle used by Clara Sherman, master Navajo weaver, in this video shows the type of spindle I want in action. It looks both fun and ergonomic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p7OIghMVw

I set up some polymer clay over top of the base of wood dowel and a cd.  the problem in working over wood is that it makes bubbles.  so I would suggest using some sort of plastic or metal as your core
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...