A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,902
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice? Better Way for my Photoshopped Images to Tees? (Right forum?)  (Read 1128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MegRoseSews
« on: April 08, 2010 10:28:20 AM »

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. Sorry if it's not. I usually post in the bags forum...

I've been having an awful lot of fun taking a Photoshop class and creating beautiful images, which just beg to go on tee shirts (for a start). So far I've just used the basic ink jet sheets - which it looks like this group is about.

Somebody at the flea market (where the world really meets I think) told me that somebody told her (this is where it gets like an adventure novel) that he used to silk screen tee shirts but now he threw out his old system because he uses a craft store type machine to do "just as good a job". This is where a silk screener gets offended - I'm sure I would, if I was a silk-screen artist. Remember it's a passed on conversation.

She said "He got that machine you always see on the infomercials. You know, it's by the same people who make the Cricket. You get them at Michaels." She then flipped through her Joannes brochure, which she happened to have, but no dice.

Clearly I'm not savy to this infomercial.

I've located a machine that seems to get sold at Michaels called a "Cricut'. I think Cricut makes scrapbook/art-journal type shapes with different die-cuts. I've located the company that makes it called "Provo Craft". I can see a lot of products they make on Amazon, including some kind of viny transfer letters maybe?

This is what it comes down to..
1) Does anybody know if there is any kind of affordable crafting machine for photo transfer that is an improvement over iron on ink jet transfers.

2) Can you point me towards a f.a.q. or list of other in-home photo transfer options besides a machine and ink jet transfers that might look cooler and still be on the home-type-budget side? I think maybe there is some kind of jel/gel but that would imply I print a photograph and put the gel on. If it's a big improvement in terms of not having a crispy, crunchy tee shirt front or the picture is really great maybe that's worth it. I found a site that has other fabric sheets that have a different fiber content and the cheapest are over $60. For my budget that is a lot for just transfer sheets that will get used up. But if it's a wonderful option and you think those are the best, I could think about it for the future.

Thank you for any clues and pointers. Hopefully a wonderful craftster moderator will also move this post if I put it in the wrong forum. What would I do without wonderful craftster moderators!

Thank you!!!

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nrrrdgrrrl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010 11:52:35 AM »

I think what you are looking for is this YUDU machine- around 300$ for the machine according to the website. I didn't see these at Micheal's last time I popped in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MegRoseSews
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 07:52:50 AM »

Thank you! I will look for this
MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MegRoseSews
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010 08:01:15 AM »

And I found this writeup, on the yudu, which makes me think I should think about just trying the traditional method!

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/09/23/an-illustrated-guide.html

Looks like I have to either get serious or just deal with the tee shirt transfer sheets. Well, that's why I asked!

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Transfer Paper
How to Iron On Numbers to Fabric
How to Apply T-shirt Transfer Papers
How to Custom Design Iron On Transfers
How to Design Rhinestone Transfers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...