A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bulletin boards using wine corks  (Read 5039 times)
Tags for this thread: wine , cork , board  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lolailo
Saving the planet one cork at a time

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2010 12:28:51 AM »

I love to make bulletin boards using wine corks.  I chose winemaking as my career, and therefore had access to many corks.  This is a simple way to use them.  I look for frames with good depth at thrift stores, which makes me feel good because it is like putting them to good use again.  

I use regular carpenter's glue for the corks, because they are wood, after all.  I also use synthetic corks, and for those I switch to a stronger glue, something like E6000 or similar.  I tend to pack the corks tightly, so I let the glue dry with heavy books on top, to prevent the corks from popping out.

If you don't work in the wine industry, don't despair!  It is easy to get a hold of corks.  Apart from the obvious (drink one glass of wine with dinner every night, and you'd be amazed as to how fast those corks gather), you can befriend the waiters at your favorite restaurant and ask that they save you the corks.  Do the same with your friends.  Or email wine cork companies or wineries and see if they'd be willing to send you some samples!  

I have made tons of boards over the years, as they make great gifts.  Here are a few photos.  These ones are from my private collection.

I took a class called "Wines of the World", and every week I faithfully saved the corks from the wines tasted. They ended up on this board, the first one I ever made. This is also the board by my desk. I cleaned it up to take the photo, but here is where I hang all my bills to pay, stamps, etc.  Corks are soft enough that you can pierce them easily with a thumbtack.

This frame was deep enough that allowed for the corks to be placed vertically. I love how they start all aligned, and chaos soon ensues.  I don't consider this a functional frame, so I use it as a decorative piece only.

I made this board for my husband when we were just dating. I nailed some beer caps around the frame and glued some tokens, as a way to conceal that it wasn't in very good shape. I rather liked the effect, and have repeated the beer edge a few times.  If I find a frame wide enough, I tend to decorate it with stickers.  I made a board as a farewell gift for my old boss.  I chose wine, grapes, golf, French, and frog stickers in his honor.  I kick myself for not having taken a photo before I gave it to him!

This frame was an odd find at the thrift store. The back side is felted, with the days of the week. I thought it would look better in landscape. This is another one of those organic boards where the cork pattern turns chaotic after a couple of rows.  I had this board in my work office, and the fact that it is so long was super-useful.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010 07:10:21 AM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just started a shop in Etsy.  Come check out my cork boards!
http://Lolailo.etsy.com

Or come visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/Lolailoh

Or follow me on Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/Lolailos

Thank you!
drumboogie
The Lighthouse

Mad skills, or simply mad?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010 01:06:35 PM »

I think these are fun! As a graphic artist, I find all the varied fonts and logos on the corks to be quite interesting. However, I think it would take me years to build up enough corks to make a sizeable board. Ha! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

"Live is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it." - Danny Kaye
Lolailo
Saving the planet one cork at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010 01:34:56 PM »

Nah, there's ways to get the corks without having to drink every single bottle.  The easiest perhaps would be to buy the wine corks, but it can be expensive that way.  I would go to some local restaurants and ask if they could save me the corks.  I have worked at wineries where we would get the occasional request for corks and we would always comply.  And there's always the cork companies.  I don't know if it's OK to post names, but if anyone is interested, send me a private message
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just started a shop in Etsy.  Come check out my cork boards!
http://Lolailo.etsy.com

Or come visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/Lolailoh

Or follow me on Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/Lolailos

Thank you!
puzzler
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 08:12:26 AM »

I love these boards.  They look amazing and it is always a good idea to re-use something.  It's beautiful and planet-friendly. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Four Hot Trends From Milan Fashion Week
Diane Kruger Found Her Spirit Animal - Find Yours!
4 Top Outerwear Trends For Fall
4 Parisian Inspired Looks For Fall
Mark Fast - London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...