A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nuno felt blanket/throw?  (Read 2696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallyb
« on: April 06, 2010 11:53:47 PM »

Hey everyone!

I've been a bit MIA recently with my crafting, but have recently had an idea.  I'd love to make a nuno felted blanket/throw to cuddle up under on the couch at night now that we are moving into winter (I'm in Australia).  I think it would feel just divine!!  I did a bit of a search here on craftster to see if anyone else had done something like this, but was surprised to find that there was really nothing.  The closest thing I found was this post on turkish rug felting (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254074.0) by ptarmic wumpus.

Just doing a shout out to see if anyone has actually done this and if they have any advice.  I've done nuno felting before, but just trying to anticipate any problems before I begin!!  My main concern is of felting something of that size - it may take a little practising first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010 04:49:23 PM »

Hey Sally, what a great idea!
Hmm, I think someone has made a wet-felted blanket for their bed, but it was aaages ago.
I'll have a flick through the completed projects for you.
I've made something the size of A0, and it took me the entire day to create.
Lay out your fiber as evenly as possible. This will aid in shrinking evenly (and keep it's shape)
Spend a while ensuring that your project is thoroughly wet before adding soap. I've made the mistake of adding soap too soon, and it stops all the fibers from meshing together. Some start felting before tangling with others. Horrible!

Best of luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010 05:02:39 PM »

Ah, here it is
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=100126.0
it wasn't made using nuno techniques, but if you send them a PM they may be able to help with wet felting on that scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010 08:54:07 PM »

Oh la la!  Thank you Jane Doe! 

I've just had a squizz at that and it is a beautiful project, which does seem strangely familiar - I'm sure I saw it when it was first posted... wonder why it didn't show up in my searches?  Who knows!

I'm thinking that perhaps this is not the type of project to be doing with a 3 month old baby...  maybe I can make do with some experiments and research, ready to dive in fully when he is old enough to see his Dad for some food!

If anyone does have any tips for this, post them here please!  All tips welcomed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010 04:51:02 AM »

I just decided to do a quick google search for "nuno felt blanket" before I turned in for the night and found this:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/11/wet_felted_masterpiece.html?CMP=OTC-5JF307375954

Although its not the big, one piece blanket I was thinking of doing, this is at least something that is doable for me at the moment with limited timespans to felt in.  And even better?  It's made by our very own felt-maestro: lexis!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010 08:39:47 AM »

With a 3 month old baby and concerns of felting something of that size I was going to suggest something similar to that last link you posted. I was thinking you could basically nuno felt a bunch of scarves, or scarf-sized fabric, (is it possible to felt a scarf at naptime or bedtime? That's when I did all my crafting when my little boy was a wee babe, lol) then stitch them together.

Or if your heart is set on a one piece...do you have the space to lay your project out and be able to leave it out for a while? I know I don't have that kind of space *pauses to daydream about one day having her own studio* but if you do you could take some time to lay out your wool and just put a sheet or something over it (so it doesn't get blown around, etc when you're not working on it). You could take your time getting it even and just right, then take one evening (after baby goes to bed of course) to do the actual felting.

A one piece blanket would be very cool but I think the scarves (or squares like Lexis') stitched together could be equally as cool.

However you do it...keep us posted! I'd love to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010 04:27:20 PM »

Ooh, Tannis has made a beautiful piece!
I read the description and noticed this:
Each panel measures roughly 9" x 10" and is double machine stitched with rough, ruffly edges.

If you were to do it this way, it would take a little longer than doing the whole piece as one.  But, it would definitely be easier to manage, and you could do a few short felting sessions instead of a whole day felt-a-thon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010 09:44:39 PM »

If I were felting something that large, I would probably get a junky old blanket/cloth tarp/etc a bit bigger than your desired felted blanket. I would lay the fibers out on the old blanket, then wet them and roll it up to agitate. I recall seeing this done for yurts, where the old yurt it used to help create the new yurt.  The turkish rug felting, which I have seen done for larger rugs, was done using a plastic outdoor rug in a similar fashion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gypsyharte
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010 10:02:29 PM »

That junky blanket idea sounds really good.. I was thinking you might want to start with a slightly heavier silk base..
I haven't done any thing bigger that 18" x 72" although I ordered some 35" x 104" wraps from Dharma.
Good Luck can't wait to see your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From my Hands to you Heart <3
http://www.gypsyharte.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairdressing Essentials Hair Dryer
How to Cut Square Layers
How to Cut Scissors Over Comb
How to Cut Round Layers
Hairdressing Essentials Shampoo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...